IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams travel to Champaign, Illinois to compete in the Illini Open on Friday. The teams will race at University of Illinois Arboretum. The women’s 5,000 meters starts at 4 p.m. (CT). The men’s 8,000 meters begins at 4:40 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com. They will also be posted at FightingIllini.com.
HAWKEYES RANKED 6TH IN MIDWEST REGION
- The University of Iowa men’s cross country team is ranked sixth in the Midwest Region, jumping up three spots in the latest United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll.
- The women’s team is ranked eighth in the USTFCCCA Midwest Regional poll in week five.
CHANGE OF PACE
Nathan Mylenek and Megan Schott led the Hawkeyes in their respective races last weekend. Mylenek ran his fastest 8,000 meters of the year in 24:39.7 at NCAA Pre-Nationals hosted in Madison, Wis. Schott ran a personal best 6,000 meters in 21:02.2 at the Bradley “Pink” Classic.
The Illini Open marks the second 5,000-meter race for the Hawkeye women. Senior Andrea Shine finished in first scoring position for the Hawkeyes at the Joe Piane – Notre Dame Invite on Sept. 28
The Hawkeye men are running their third 8,000-meter race of the season. They placed second at the Woody Greeno Invite on Sept. 15, and 16th at the NCAA Pre-Nationals on Oct. 13. Daniel Soto and Nathan Mylenek scored in the first and second scoring positions in both races, alternating positions in each race.
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Andrea Shine was the top finisher in the 5,000 meters this season, and Megan Schott finished in a close second scoring postion at the Joe Piane – Notre Dame Invitaitonal.
- Schott was Iowa’s top runner at the Bradley “Pink” Classic this past week.
- Shine has led the Hawkeyes in three of four races.
- The Hawkeye women prove to have a strong freshmen class. At the Bradley “Pink” Classic, Anna Hostetler finished in the third scoring position (21:25.8), Grace McCabe in fourth (21:54.0), and Jessica McKee closed out the final scoring position (22:25.6) with season best 6,000-meter times. Hostetler has finished in the third scoring position in all four races this season.
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Senior Daniel Soto and junior Nathan Mylenek will both be running in the Illini Open 8,000 meters, following consecutive one, two finishes at Woody Greeno Invite and Joe Piane-Notre Dame Invite, and NCAA Pre-Nationals.
- Mylenek was Iowa’s top finisher at NCAA Pre-Nationals. He led Iowa in five of six races last year.
- Soto has been Iowa’s top finisher in three of four races.
- At Wisconsin, the Hawkeyes saw career top finishes from junior Karson Sommer and sophomore Noah Healy in the “Cardinal” Pre-National 8,000 meters. Sommer and Healy each bested their 8,000 meter times, finishing 25:08.2 and 25:39.5, respectively.
- In the “Gray” open Pre-Nationals 8,000 meters, senior Daniel Murphy and sophomore Jeff Roberts each picked up career-best times of 25:27.5 and 26:12.1, respectively.
NEXT UP FOR THE HAWKEYES
The post season begins Oct. 28 at the Big Ten Championships hosted by Nebraska.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @IowaXC_TF on Twitter.