IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams head to Peoria, Illinois, to compete at the 2018 NCAA Midwest Regionals on Friday. The teams race at Newman Golf Course. The women’s 6,000 meters starts at 11 a.m. (CT). The men’s 10,000 meters begins at noon.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com. They will also be posted at BradleyBraves.com.
HAWKEYES RANKED 5TH IN MIDWEST REGION
- The University of Iowa men’s cross country team is ranked fifth in the Midwest Region, jumping one spot in the latest United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll.
- The women’s team is ranked eighth in the USTFCCCA Midwest Regional poll.
NCAA REGIONAL EXPERIENCE
- On the men’s team, five Hawkeyes have run at the NCAA Midwest Regionals: Ian Eklin (4th appearance), Nathan Mylenek (3rd), Bailey Hesse-Withbroe (3rd), Karson Sommer (2nd), and Brandon Cooley (2nd).
- Andrea Shine and Megan Schott are the only women to previously compete at the NCAA Midwest Regionals. Sunday will mark Shine’s fourth appearance and Schott’s second, but first as a Hawkeye. She competed in the 2017 NCAA Midwest Regional for Iowa State.
- In 2017, the men’s team finished 11th out of 28 teams. The women finished 12th out of 33 teams.
- The NCAA Midwest Regionals mark the fourth 6,000-meter race for the Hawkeye women.
- Andrea Shine led the Hawkeyes in the 6,000 meters at the Notre Dame Invite and the Big Ten Championships. Megan Schott finished in second scoring position.
- Schott led the Hawkeyes in the 6k at the Bradley “Pink” Classic, the same course the team runs on Friday.
- The Hawkeye men are running their first 10,000-meter race of the season.
- During the 2017 NCAA Midwest Regional the team recorded seven personal records and Nathan Mylenek set the school record (29:53.15).
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Andrea Shine led the Hawkeyes in the 6,000 meters at the Notre Dame Invite and the Big Ten Championships and Megan Schott finished in second scoring position.
- Schott led the Hawkeyes in one 6k at the Bradley “Pink” Classic, the same course the team will run on Friday.
- Anna Hostetler has led the pack of freshman this season taking the third scoring role in every race.
- Four Hawkeye women set career bests at the Big Ten Championships: Shine (20:35.4), Ashley Bryja (22:35.3), Kylie Latham (22:52.8) and Jessica McKee (22:11.5).
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Junior Nathan Mylenek runs the 2018 NCAA Midwest Regional after placing 11th at the Big Ten Championships to earn All-Big Ten honors, improving 17 spots from the 2017 event.
- Mylenek was Iowa’s top finisher in two races this season: NCAA Pre-Nationals and Big Ten Championships.
- At Big Ten Championships, the Hawkeyes saw 8,000- meters career-top finishes from seven competitors, including Mylenek (24:00.5), Brandon Cooley (24:36.9), Daniel Murphy (24:37.0), Karson Sommer (24:40.5), Ian Eklin (24:58.7), Spencer Smith (24:59.8), Bailey Hesse-Withbroe (25:05.2).
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @IowaXC_TF on Twitter.