DALLAS — After 36 holes at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate, sophomore Gonzalo Leal Montero is tied for a team-best eighth place with a two-round score of 139 (-3). He fired back-to-back under par rounds with four birdies in each round at the par-71, 7,068-yard Royal Oaks Country Club on Monday.
The Hawkeyes are in front of Big Ten foe Nebraska and are tied for 10th place at 18-over-par (586) through two rounds. Three of the top-six teams in the tournament are ranked in the top-40 of Golfstat’s rankings.
All but one Hawkeye improved upon its first round score to help the team shave off four strokes from the first round, firing a seven-over-par 291 in the second round.
Senior Alex Schaake (T-45; +5) and junior Joe Kim (T-48; +6) were Iowa’s next top-finishers after two rounds.
|8||Gonzalo Leal Montero||70||69||-3||139|
GONZO GOES LOW
- Leal Montero is looking for his first top-10 finish of the season and second of his career.
- With two rounds at or below par today, he increased his season total to five.
- Leal Montero took advantage of par fives on Monday, recording the third-lowest (4.17; -5) stroke average out of the 68-player field.
- His eight birdies on the day tied for seventh most in the field.
- The Hawkeyes parred the fourth-most holes (116) out of the 12-team field.
Tomorrow’s third and final round will be an 8:30 a.m. (CT) staggered shotgun start.