On March 12, the Big Ten Conference announced the cancellation of all conference and nonconference competitions through the end of the academic year. That decision includes spring sports that compete beyond the academic year, and participation in all NCAA tournaments and competitions. The NCAA followed suit, cancelling all NCAA Winter and Spring Championships.
- Senior Alex Schaake led the Hawkeyes in rounds at or below par (11) and 18-hole stroke average (71.55). Sophomore Gonzalo Leal Montero finished second on the team in both categories with 10 rounds at or below par and a 71.88 18-hole stroke average.
- Schaake posted four top-20 finishes, while Leal Montero finished in the top-20 twice. Senior Benton Weinberg and freshman Matthew Garside each recorded one top-20 finish.
- Weinberg posted a 73.72 18-hole stroke average, the third lowest on the team.
- Leal Montero posted the lowest 18-hole score of the season in round three of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Classic, Leal Montero fired a five-under 66. This score ties for the fifth lowest 18-hole round in school history.
ENTERING THE RECORD BOOKS
- Leal Montero’s 54-hole score (208) at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate is tied for the seventh-lowest 54-hole total in program history and also the lowest 54-hole score by a Hawkeye this season.
- The team’s combined 54-hole score of 855 at the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Classic is the 13th lowest score in team history.
- Freshman Mac McClear recorded a personal-best 67 (-4) in the second round of the Fighting Irish Classic to tie for the sixth-lowest 18-hole round in program history.
- Schaake’s 71.55 and Leal Montero’s 71.88 strokes per 18-holes were the 5th and 6th lowest season averages in school history.
- Junior Jake Rowe recorded his personal best 18-hole (70) and 54-hole (223) scores at the Puerto Rico Classic.
- Leal Montero’s third round 66 at the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Classic and his 54-hole score of 208 at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate are both personal bests for the Seville, Spain native.
Three freshman — Matthew Garside (Bettendorf, Iowa), Mac McClear (Hinsdale, Ill.), and Garrett Tighe (Algonquin, Ill.) — were newcomers during 2019-20.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa men’s golf program and access to exclusive coverage, “like” Hawkeye men’s golf on Facebook and follow @IowaHawkeyeGolf on Twitter and Instagram.