- Both matches will be streamed live on B1G+ (subscription required).
- Live stats for each contest can be found on the team’s schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
- John Evans will have the radio call, which can be found on the Hawkeye Radio Network YouTube page.
- Head coach Hugh McCutcheon is in his 10th year as head coach.
- The Gophers are 16-6 overall and 11-3 in conference play.
- Minnesota ranks first in team attacks per set (37.41).
- Stephanie Samedy ranks first in the Big Ten in kills per set and 10th in the nation (4.71).
- The Gophers average 13.5 kills per set and have an overall hitting percentage of .240.
- The Terrapins are currently 18-8 overall and 6-8 in Big Ten play.
- Head coach Adam Hughes is in his fourth season.
- Senior middle blocker Rainelle Jones ranks first in the conference for total blocks (148) and blocks per set (3.08).
- Sophomore outside hitter Sam Csire ranks first in the Big Ten in total attacks (998), and freshman libero Milan Gomillion ranks first in the Big Ten in digs per set (4.78).
- Senior Courtney Buzzerio leads the squad with 347 kills, 4.035 kills per set, and 872 attacks.
- Junior libero Mari Hinkle leads the team with 243 digs.
- Sophomore Bailey Ortega has amassed a team-best 658 assists and 7.65 assists per set.
- Senior Hannah Clayton has recorded a team-best 41 blocks.
- In Iowa’s, 3-1, victory over Michigan State four Hawkeyes had at least nine kills.
- Iowa’s kill leaders include Buzzerio (347), VanderWeide (179), Clayton (160), and Jones (136).
- Buzzerio ranks 62nd in the nation with 347 total kills.
- She ranks second in the Big Ten in kills per set (4.03).
- Buzzerio ranks fourth in the Big Ten in points per set (4.44).
- Buzzerio’s outstanding play last season earned her an AVCA All-North Region Honorable Mention selection and first-team All-Big Ten honors, becoming the first Hawkeye to earn those postseason honors since Sara Meyermann in 2001. She is only the fifth All-Region selection in program history and eighth first-team all-conference honoree.
- She claimed her third career triple-double (13 kills, 21 assists, 11 digs) in Iowa’s five-set match against Indiana on Feb. 6, becoming the only individual in the Big Ten and one of 23 nationally to record a triple-double last season. She is the only Hawkeye in program history to register multiple triple-doubles in a career.
- Buzzerio’s first career triple-double was against Nebraska (Nov. 16, 2019), with her second coming two weeks later against Ohio State (Nov. 29, 2019). There have only been five triple-doubles in the last 20 years at Iowa. Kiley Fister (2005) and Fabiana De Abreu (2000) are the other two Hawkeyes to complete the feat.
- The Hawkeyes put together an impressive three sets to defeat in-state rival Iowa State in straight sets on Sept. 11.
- Iowa recorded a then-season high attacking percentage of .286.
- The Hawkeyes held Iowa State to 36 kills and 33 digs.
- Freshman Addie VanderWeide has made 19 consecutive starts and recorded eight double-digit kill matches.
- VanderWeide recorded a career-high .471 hitting percentage against No. 11 Washington and career high and team-leading 23 digs against Ball State.
- Freshman Toyosi Onabanjo made her first two starts in the Cy-Hawk Series Tournament.
- Onabanjo recorded five kills and four blocks in both matches.
- Freshman Jenna Splitt made her first two appearances against Illinois and Nebraska. She had 36 assists across both matches.
- Splitt made her first career start against Michigan.
- Multiple Hawkeyes set career highs against Duke to open the season.
- Buzzerio recorded a career-high 28 kills against the Blue Devils, tied for 13th most in a single game in school history. The last Hawkeye to record at least 25 kills was her sister Meghan Buzzerio in 2019.
- Sophomore Bailey Ortega recorded a career-high 45 assists. She surpassed that against Ball State recording 49 assists, and again against Air Force with 57 assists.
- Three Hawkeyes recorded a career high in digs. Mari Hinkle (11), Bailey Ortega (15), and Maddie Slagle (22).
- Hannah Clayton is currently in second (.289) and Amiya Jones is in third (.287) for all-time hitting percentage in school history.
- Clayton currently ties for ninth in program history with Jess Janota, having 306 career blocks. She is 42 blocks away from tying Katie Panhorst for eighth.
- Seven Big Ten teams are ranked in the top 25 of the AVCA Coaches Poll: No. 4 Wisconsin, No. 8 Minnesota, No. 9 Purdue, No. 10 Ohio State, No. 11 Nebraska, No. 15 Penn State and No. 25 Illinois.
- The Big Ten Conference has crowned an NCAA Champion in nine of the last 15 years and at least one Big Ten team has advanced to the Final Four in six straight seasons.
- Buzzerio has recorded 20 kills in four matches this season. (Duke, Ball State, Air Force, and Illinois).
- She has recorded double digit kills in 18 of the 24 games this season.
- The Hawkeyes finally welcomed fans to Xtream Arena for the first time as they faced Syracuse in the Cy-Hawk Series Tournament on Sept. 9, 2021.
Iowa hosts No. 8 Minnesota on Thursday at 6 p.m. (CT) at Xtream Arena. The Hawkeyes then entertain Maryland on Saturday in its home finale at 7 p.m. (CT) in Coralville. Five of Iowa’s final six matches will be against Big Ten teams it will face just once in 2021, including both matches this weekend.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for youth (ages 6-18), and 5-and-under are free.
HOW TO FOLLOW ALONG
LEADING THE WAY
ALL THE BUZZ
RECORD BOOK UPDATE
BEST CONFERENCE IN THE NATION