The University of Iowa women’s golf team will travel to Chattanooga, Tennessee, for the Chattanooga Classic from March 27-29. The 54-hole event will be held at the Council Fire Golf Club with 18 holes being contested each day. The Hawkeyes will tee off at noon (CT) on Sunday.
Fans can follow the tournament via live scoring at www.Golfstat.com.
Iowa’s lineup will include: freshman Paula Miranda, junior Jacque Galloway, junior Lea Zeitler, senior Dana Lerner and junior Morgan Goldstein.
The 21-team field will include: Central Arkansas, Chattanooga, Colorado State, Duke, East Carolina, East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Indiana, Iowa, James Madison, Middle Tennessee State, Murray State, North Florida, Old Dominion, Samford, Southern Miss, Texas San Antonio, Wisconsin and Yale.
• Four teams in the field — Duke (24), North Florida (54), UTSA (57) and ETSU (58) — are ranked in the top 60 in the Golfstat rankings.
Council Fire is a beautifully sculpted Bob Cupp design with the backdrop of the Tennessee mountains. Large, etched out bunkers, large undulating greens and tight heavy rough make it a test for any golfer and the natural beauty can rival any course around.
• Freshman Paula Miranda has led the Hawkeyes in five of the six tournaments this season, including both events this spring. Miranda tied for 23rd at the Westbrook Invitational with a 218, her second-best score of the season.
• All 18 rounds Miranda has played in this season have counted toward Iowa’s team score.
• Junior Morgan Goldstein fired a season-low 54-hole score, finishing with a 223 at the Westbrook Invitational. The Las Vegas native fired an even-par 72 over her final 18 holes — her best round of the season.
• Senior Manuela Lizarazu notched the Hawkeyes’ first eagle of the season during the Westbrook Invitational.
A CLEAR NO. 1
Freshman Paula Miranda had a strong fall season, posting a team-best 73.67 scoring average over four fall tournaments. In six tournaments this season, the Mexico native has a 74.22 scoring average over 18 rounds. She has posted one top 10 and two top 20 finishes, including a runner-up showing at the Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate.
• Miranda posted a score of 212 (-4) at the Ron Moore, finishing at or below par in each of her three rounds. The 212 total ranks second in school history and the final round 68 is sixth-best all-time.
• Miranda fired a season-low round of 67 at the Badger Invitational in the second event of the fall. The score is tied for the second-lowest round in school history.
• Miranda also tied for 12th at the Women’s Amateur Latin America Championships with a 72-hole score of 296.
• In her second stroke play event of the spring, Miranda fired rounds of 71, 73 and 74 to finish with a two-over par 218 to tie for 23rd Westbrook Invitational. The opening round 71 was her team-leading fifth round at or below par.
• Miranda has a team-best 42 birdies this season, averaging 2.33 per round.
The Hawkeyes will travel to San Antonio for the Mary Kauth Invitational, hosted by the UTSA from April 5-6. It is the team’s final tournament before the Big Ten Championships, which will take place April 22-24 in Pittsburgh.