The University of Iowa women’s golf team will compete at the 2022 Big Ten Championships from April 22-24 in Pittsburgh. The 54-hole tournament will be held at Fox Chapel Golf Course (par 71, 6,045 yards) with 18 holes being contested each day. Tee times will begin at 7:30 a.m. (CT) on Friday and Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday.
• Fox Chapel hosted the 2002 Curtis Cup and the 2012-14 Senior Players Championships. It is consistently ranked as a top 100 best classic courses by Golfweek.
Fans can follow the tournament via live scoring at www.Golfstat.com.
Iowa’s lineup will include: freshman Paula Miranda, junior Jacque Galloway, junior Lea Zeitler, senior Dana Lerner, junior Morgan Goldstein and freshman Caroline Gray.
Two Big Ten schools — Michigan (18) and Illinois (23) — are ranked in the top 25 of the latest Golfstat rankings, while Michigan State (34), Northwestern (35) and Purdue (46) are all in the top 50.
2021 BIG TEN REVIEW
The Hawkeyes placed 10th overall at the 2021 Big Ten Championships with a 897 total. Morgan Goldstein and Klara Wildhaber paced the team, tying for 24th place with six-over par 222s.
STRONG FINISH IN CHATTANOOGA
The Hawkeyes finished strong at the Chattanooga Classic on March 29, shooting a four-under par 284 during the final round to move up four spots to finish in a tie for 13th. The 284 total was the second-lowest round in program history.
• Three Hawkeyes finished in the red during the final round in junior Jacque Galloway (70), freshman Paula Miranda (69) and junior Lea Zeitler (70). Galloway led the team, tying for 20th with a 221 (79-72-70) to notch her best finish of the season.
• Galloway and Zeitler’s rounds were their best of the season, while Miranda’s score was her third round in the 60’s this season.
• Freshman Paula Miranda has led the Hawkeyes in six of the eight tournaments this season, including three of the four events this spring. Miranda tied for 15th place with a 227 at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational in her final competition prior to the Big Tens.
• All 24 rounds Miranda has played in this season have counted toward Iowa’s team score.
• The Hawkeyes have two of the top 10 team rounds in program history this season, firing a 284 at the Chattanooga Classic and a 287 at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate in October.
A CLEAR NO. 1
Freshman Paula Miranda had a strong fall season, posting a team-best 73.67 scoring average over four fall tournaments. In eight tournaments this season, the Mexico native has a 74.42 scoring average over 24 rounds. She has posted one top 10 and three top 20 finishes, including a runner-up showing at the Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate.
• Miranda posted a score of 212 (-4) at the Ron Moore, finishing at or below par in each of her three rounds. The 212 total ranks second in school history and the final round 68 is sixth-best all-time.
• Miranda fired a season-low round of 67 at the Badger Invitational in the second event of the fall. The score is tied for the second-lowest round in school history.
• Miranda also tied for 12th at the Women’s Amateur Latin America Championships with a 72-hole score of 296.
• In her second stroke play event of the spring, Miranda fired rounds of 71, 73 and 74 to finish with a two-over par 218 to tie for 23rd at the Westbrook Invitational.
• Miranda has a team-best 54 birdies this season, averaging 2.25 per round.