The University of Iowa women’s golf team hits the road for Spring Break to compete at the Briar’s Creek Invitational from March 13-14 in Johns Island, South Carolina. The 54-hole tournament will be played at the Golf Club at Briars Creek with a 36-hole shotgun start on Monday followed by the final 18 holes on Tuesday.
Fans can follow the tournament via live scoring at www.Golfstat.com.
The Hawkeyes will send six golfers to South Carolina for the tournament. Iowa’s lineup will include freshman Riley Lewis, freshman Shannyn Vogler, freshman Madison Dabagia, sophomore Paula Miranda and freshman Kaitlyn Hanna. Senior Jordan Amelon will be competing as an individual.
Iowa will compete against a field of 15 teams that includes: Boston College, Campbell, Central Florida, East Carolina, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Miami, NC State, Nebraska, North Florida, Old Dominion, Penn State, Rutgers and Southern Methodist.
• Four teams in the field — UCF (20), SMU (30), Maryland (35) and Nebraska (36) — are ranked in the top 36 nationally in the Golfstat rankings.
The Briar’s Creek Golf Club is located on Johns Island, south of Charleston. The course was rated the 25th best course in South Carolina and has received a five-star rating . The course sits along the Kiawah River and features wandering rivers, marshes and saltwater estuaries. The featured hole of the course is the 447-yard 16th hole that is covered in bunkers and towering oak trees. The course was designed by Rees Jones in 1989, Jones has left his mark on several PGA championship courses.
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes tied for 10th at the UNF Collegiate in Florida. Iowa fired a 290 second round score — the team’s third-best round of the season — and totaled a 890 for the tournament.
• Freshman Riley Lewis led the team, firing a 218 total (74-67-77) to tie for 13th-place. The second round 67 was the best of the Illinois native’s career and is tied for second for the lowest 18-hole score in school history.
LEWIS NAMED BIG TEN GOLFER OF THE WEEK
Riley Lewis earned her first career Big Ten Women’s Golfer of the Week honor after tying for 13th place at the UNF Collegiate on March 6-7. The Illinois native fired a second-round 67 — the second lowest round in school history — courtesy of four birdies and two eagles.
• Freshman Riley Lewis has posted back-to-back two-over par 218’s in Iowa’s last two tournaments, tying for 29th at the Westbrook Invitational and a career-best 13th place showing at the UNF Collegiate. Lewis leads the team with a 74.44 scoring average over 18 rounds this season and has a team-high two top 20 finishes.
• Freshman Madison Dabagia had Iowa’s top finish of the season when she tied for eighth place at the Tulane Classic. Dabagia has a 75.61 scoring average over 20.5 round, ranking third on the team. The Indiana native has led the team in two of three tournaments this spring.
• Freshman Shannyn Vogler is second on the team with a 75.51 scoring average over 20.5 rounds. She has one top 20 finish and three rounds at or below par this season.
The Hawkeyes will have a week off before heading to the West Coast on March 26-27 for the Fresno State Classic in Fresno, California.