The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Lubbock, Texas, this week for the Red Raider Invi- tational. The 54-hole tournament will be held from Sept. 25-26 at The Rawls Golf Course (par 72, 6,573 yards). The Hawkeyes begin the tournament Monday with an 8 a.m. (CT) shotgun start.
Fans can follow the tournament via live scoring at www.Golfstat.com.
Iowa’s lineup in the Lone Star State includes: junior Paula Miranda, sophomores Madison Dabagia, Kaitlyn Hanna and Shannyn Vogler and freshman Ximena Benites.
The 11-team field includes: Abilene Christian, Oklahoma City, Princeton, Iowa, Incarnate Word, UTEP, Campbell, Cincinnati, UTRGV, Houston Christian and Texas Tech.
The Rawls Course gets its name from Texas Tech alum Jerry S. Rawls, who generously donated funding
to make the course one of the top courses in the nation. This course was transformed from a flat cotton field in the midst of Lubbock, to a 6,573-yard, par-72. Rawls course was named the No. 2 Best Course you can play in Texas by Golf Week. It has been the site of numerous NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Golf Championship as well as the U.S. Open and Amateur qualifier events.
A REVIEW: BADGER INVITE
The Hawkeyes finished eighth at the Badger Invitational last week, firing a 54-hole total of 899 (296- 294-299). Paula Miranda was Iowa’s top finisher, earning a 22nd place finish with a four-over par 220 (72-73-75).
OUR B1G GOLFERS TO WATCH
Three Hawkeyes — sophomores Madison Dabagia and Shannyn Vogler and freshman Ximena Benites — have been named to the Big Ten Women’s Golfers to Watch List for the 2023-24 season. Vogler paced the team with a 74.70 scoring average as a true freshman, Dabagia qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur this past summer and Benites was the South American Pre Juvenil champion in 2021.
• Three Iowa golfers place in the top 30, last week in the Badger Invitational: Paula Miranda (22nd) and Madison Dabagia and Kaitlyn Hanna (t26th).
• Hanna had a career low round (72) and a career-best 54-hole score (222) at the Badger Invitational.
• The Hawkeyes had three rounds at or below par during the opening tournament of the fall.
• Vogler had a team-best three top-20 finishes, including winning the medalist honor at the National Golf Invitational to close out the 2022-23 season. The Moline, Illinois, native tied the 54-hole school record with a five-under par 211 (69-71-71) to earn her first career collegiate title.
• Seven of the eight players on the 2023-24 roster are underclassmen. Junior Paula Miranda is the lone upperclassmen for the Hawkeyes.
The Hawkeyes will head to the East Coast to New Haven, Connecticut, on Sept. 30- Oct. 1 for the Yale Invitational.