April 16, 2004
MINNEAPOLIS, MN – University of Iowa diver Nancilea Underwood placed second in the three-meter springboard event at the 2004 Speedo American Cup Championship, held recently in Minneapolis, MN. The junior from Spring, TX, posted a score of 756.45. Rachelle Kunkel, the 2001 U.S. national indoor three-meter champion, won the event with a score of 772.41. 2000 Olympian Sara Hildebrand placed third (752.82).
Based on her performance at the meet, Underwood was chosen to represent the United States at the 2004 Speedo/Fina Diving Grand Prix, scheduled for May 7-9 in Houston, TX. She will also compete at the 2004 U.S. Olympic Diving Team Trials in St. Peters, MO, June 7-13.
2004 SPEEDO AMERICAN CUP RESULTS
Three-Meter Springboard Finals Results (Top Five Placers)
1. Rachelle Kunkel (Trojan Dive Club) 772.41
2. Nancilea Underwood (Iowa) 756.45
3. Sara Hildebrand (Indiana Diving) 752.82
4. Summer Mitchell (Mission Viejo Nadadores) 743.43
5. Kimiko Soldati (Centralized Training Center) 723.15