Iowa Nearly Knocks Off No. 16 Wisconsin

Sept. 23, 2005

Box Score

IOWA CITY – The University of Iowa women’s soccer team nearly upset 16th-ranked Wisconsin Friday evening at the Iowa Soccer Complex, but drew 2-2 in double overtime. The Hawkeyes played a solid 110 minutes of soccer and produced a season-high 17 shots.

Wisconsin gained an early 1-0 lead in the 20th minute when Kara Kabellis knocked in a free kick from the top of the 18-yard box. After allowing the goal, the Hawkeyes looked determine to find the equalizer and did so in the 37th minute after sophomore Melisa Kaetterhenry found the back of the net off a pinpoint cross from freshman Stephanie Hyink The match stayed tied at 1-1 heading into halftime.

The Badgers once again took the lead in the 49th minute when Allison Preiss volleyed a shot that snuck by freshman goalkeeper Erin MacIsaac. After the Hawkeye defense regained possession in their defensive third late in the contest, freshman Manon Engelhardt received a pass and dribbled down the right sideline. Engelhardt then sent a low cross into Hyink, who found senior Whitney Strain unmarked on the left post. Strain tucked the ball into the bottom corner of the frame to send the game into overtime.

The Hawkeye defense stayed strong in the first overtime period, allowing only one shot. Iowa’s offense was on the attack and nearly scored after a Katelyn Quinn blast, but the shot sailed high.

The second overtime period was fast paced with a total of five shots in 10 minutes. Quinn once again ripped a shot from nearly 30 yards away that almost snuck by the Wisconsin goalkeeper, but the shot bounced off the crossbar and out of bounds. Neither team could produce the game-winning goal in the extra 20 minutes of play.

Quinn and Hyink led the Hawkeye offense. Quinn recorded five shots while Hyink had four, three of which were on target. MacIsaac had another stellar performance in net, recording seven saves.

Iowa’s next match is Sunday at 1 p.m. against Northwestern at the Iowa Soccer Complex.