June 2, 2006
- Read about Iowa’s 2006 recruiting class
- Follow the renovation of Kinnick Stadium
- The Schedule: 2006 and beyond
The University of Iowa Football Program and the DeGowin Blood Center at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City are joining forces in a year-long partnership to encourage blood donors to save lives.
“We are delighted that Head Coach Kirk Ferentz, his staff and players have made such a major commitment to give back to their fans and community by joining DeGowin as this year’s Leadership Team. They are true role models,” said Paula Dayton, Donor Recruitment Coordinator in the DeGowin Blood Center.
“If everyone who is eligible to donate blood would do so on a regular basis – three to four times per year – the need for blood would be met and shortages could become a thing of the past.”
The DeGowin Blood Center will kick off its 2006-2007 campaign with the UI Football Program on June 5, 2006, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at The University of Iowa Athletics Hall of Fame amd Museum.
Ferentz will join other members of the Iowa football family in taking a break from summer workouts to roll up their sleeves and give blood. Everyone will have the opportunity to enter a special drawing for an Iowa football autographed by Coach Ferentz and assistant coaches who are in attendance. Donors will receive a DeGowin Life Saving Team t-shirt. Participants can tour the UI Hall of Fame Museum for only $1, a significant discount from the standard $4 admission fee.
The number of donors that can be accommodated during this drive is limited, so donors must schedule a time to donate. Sign up to donate by calling the DeGowin Blood Center at (319) 356-2058 or visiting the Centers website.
Entries for the drawing for the autographed Iowa football will also be accepted June 5-10. DeGowin Life Saving Team t-shirts will be offered to all blood donors in June, July and August.
Other upcoming DeGowin and UI Football Program Leadership Team events include:
- A week-long blood drive during “Beat Iowa State Week” with player appearances at the Students Today Alumni Tomorrow (STAT) blood drive at the Iowa Memorial Union on September 14, 2006
- A special blood drive November 30, 2006, prior to Iowa’s possible bowl game in the Activities Room on the first level of the John Pappajohn Pavilion at UI Hospitals and Clinics
- A special ceremony to honor the Hawkeyes for their support at halftime of the UI football program’s spring event next April.
- The DeGowin Blood Center supplies blood products for patients at UI Hospitals and Clinics. Last year, there were more than 32,000 transfusions involving blood products at UI Hospitals and Clinics, or an average of nearly 90 every day. You must be at least 17- years-old, weigh at least 110 pounds, and be cold and flu symptom free for five days to donate blood.
University of Iowa Health Care describes the partnership between the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine and UI Hospitals and Clinics and the patient care, medical education and research programs and services they provide. Visit UI Health Care online at www.uihealthcare.com.