April 30, 2007
- Watch Yanda as a Hawkeye
- Yanda’s Ravens Page
- Watch Chandler as a Hawkeye
- Chandler’s Charger Page
- Watch Elgin as a Hawkeye
- Elgin’s Patriots Page
IOWA CITY — Three senior members of the University of Iowa’s 2006 football team were selected in the National Football League (NFL) Draft this past weekend, while five additional former Hawkeyes had signed free agent contracts as of Monday.
Marshal Yanda, an offensive tackle from Anamosa, was selected by Baltimore in the third round. Tight end Scott Chandler, from Southlake, TX, was a fourth round selection of the San Diego Chargers. Mike Elgin, a native of Bankston, IA who played both guard and center during his Hawkeye career, was selected by New England in the seventh round.
OL Mike Jones (Chicago Ridge, IL) and DB Miguel Merrick (Union City, NJ) signed free agent contracts with San Diego, while LB Ed Miles (Tallahassee, FL) signed with Miami, DB Marcus Paschal (Largo, FL) signed with Philadelphia and QB Drew Tate (Baytown, TX) signed with St. Louis.
Following are additional notes on Iowa football and the NFL Draft:
- Iowa has had at least one player selected in the last 29 NFL Drafts
- Iowa has had two or more played selected in 10 of the past 11 years and at least three players in five of the past six drafts
- The Hawkeyes have had 20 players taken over the past five years
- Twenty-six players have been selected in the NFL Draft since Kirk Ferentz became Iowa’s head coach
- Five of the 20 drafted players over the last five years came to Iowa as walk-ons, including TE Dallas Clark, OL Bruce Nelson, DB Derek Pagel, OL Pete McMahon and DB Sean Considine.
Click HERE to learn more about the Big Ten Network.