April 5, 2008
- Big Ten Network: Programming Schedule
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa men’s track and field team crowned four individual champions and posted three NCAA regional qualifiers Saturday at two different meets. The Hawkeyes divided their squad, sending some competitors to the Tiger Classic in Auburn, AL, and the rest to the Central College Invitational in Pella, IA. Iowa won the Central meet with 96 team points, edging out runner-up Drake who posted 94.2. No team scored were kept at Auburn.
At the Tiger Classic, junior Andy Napier won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a regional-qualifying and collegiate-best time of 9:03.85. That mark also ranks seventh on Iowa’s all-time best performers list. Sophomore Ray Varner was Iowa’s other regional qualifier at Auburn, placing third in the 400-meter hurdles in 51.70. Sophomore Adam Hairston won the 800 meters in 1:50.72, missing the regional qualifying mark by .32 seconds. Iowa posted eight other collegiate bests at Auburn, including freshman Chris Barton’s 47.31 for third place in the 400 meters, which was only .11 seconds off the regional qualifying mark.
At Central, junior Matty Gorman won the triple jump with a collegiate-best and regional-qualifying mark of 49-2 1/2. That jump also ranks fifth in school history. Sophomore Brendan Camplin won the 5,000 meters with a collegiate-best 15:20.42. Nine other Hawkeyes posted collegiate best performances in Pella, including redshirt freshman Josh Bean, whose 48-8 for second place in the triple jump ranks seventh in school history. Twenty-three teams competed at the meet, which was a Central school record.
Iowa’s next competition will be April 11-12 at the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe, AZ, and April 12 at the Lee Calhoun Memorial in Macomb, IL. The Hawkeyes will host their first home meet of the outdoor season April 19 at Francis X. Cretzmeyer Track in Iowa City.
IOWA’S TIGER CLASSIC INDIVIDUAL RESULTS (Event Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
1. Evander Wells (Tennessee) 10.45
21. Max Milder (Iowa) 10.98
1. Andy Napier (Iowa) 9:03.85
1. South Carolina “A” 3:08.83
4. Iowa “A” 3:11.23
10. Iowa “B” 3:17.08
15. Iowa “C” 3:22.91
1. Jerome Miller (Unattached) 7-1 1/2
4. Dan Rolling (Iowa) 6-5 1/2
1. Joseph Berry (Tennessee) 16-6 3/4
7. Jeff Raymond (Iowa) 15-7
IOWA’S CENTRAL COLLEGE INVITATIONAL INDIVIDUAL RESULTS (Event Winners Plus Iowa Placers)
100 Meters – Prelims
1. Eric Bertelsen (Buena Vista) 10.74
11. Aaron Reed (Iowa) 11.18
1. Mark Harris (Unattached) 49.18
26. Bobby Windauer (Iowa) 53.83
1. Titus Kiplimo (Iowa Central) 1:51.72
9. Dan Kuhlman (Iowa) 1:57.70
1. Brendan Camplin (Iowa) 15:20.42
1. John Kallemeyn (Minn.-Duluth) 33:02.81
2. Tommy Tate (Iowa) 33:13.33
1. Jason Beutz (Minn.-Duluth) 15-2 1/4
11. Frank Prill (Iowa) 12-8 3/4
1. Scott VanCura (Hastings) 55-0 3/4
2. Mark Schaapveld (Iowa) 53-3 1/2
1. Floyd Turner (Unattached) 169-8
5. John Hickey (Iowa) 156-3
Click HERE for the Big Ten Network home page.