Feb. 5, 2010
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated Memphis Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, 6-1. The 58th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 2-1 on the season with the victory.
“This was a good win against a good team,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “I am especially pleased with the way we competed being down first sets in four matches and winning all of them.”
The Hawkeyes, 1-0 at home, claimed the doubles point with victories at the 2 and 3 positions. At the No. 2 spot, Reinoud Haal and Garret Dunn defeated Leon Nasemann and John Taylor, 8-6. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos defeated Charlie Ramsay and Spencer Heflin, 8-4, at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, the Black and Gold claimed five matches. Marc Bruche, Austen Kauss, Nikita Zotov, Haal and Vasos each claimed victories for Iowa. Bruche collected his first dual victory as a Hawkeye, defeating Nasemann at the No. 1 spot, 6-3, 7-5. Zotov defeated Ramsay 3-6, 6-1, 7-5, at the No. 2 spot. Kauss defeated Jordan Smith 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 6 position. At the No. 3 position, Haal defeated David Henry 3-6, 6-3, 7-5. Additionally at No. 4 singles, Vasos defeated Michael Janz 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
The Hawkeyes return to action Sunday against Northern Illinois. The match is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Admission is free.
#58 Iowa – 6
Memphis – 1
1. Jordan Smith/David Henry (Memphis) def. Marc Bruche/Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 8-7
2. Reinoud Haal/Garret Dunn (IOWA) def. Leon Nasemann/John Taylor (Memphis), 8-6
3. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Charlie Ramsay/Spencer Heflin (Memphis), 8-4
1. Marc Bruche (IOWA) def. Leon Nasemann (Memphis), 6-3, 7-5
2. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Charlie Ramsay (Memphis), 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
3. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. David Henry (Memphis), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Michael Janz (Memphis), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Michael Gaerthoeffner (Memphis) def. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA), 7-6, 6-2
6. Austen Kauss (IOWA) def. Jordan Smith (Memphis), 5-7, 6-2, 6-3