Feb. 7, 2010
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated Northern Illinois Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, 7-0. The 58th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 3-1 on the season with the victory.
“We played well from top to bottom in both singles and doubles,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “I feel our season is off to a very good start.”
The Hawkeyes, 2-0 at home, won all three doubles matches to claim the point. At No. 1 doubles, Marc Bruche and Nikita Zotov defeated Mikhail Titov and Roman Turtygin, 8-1. At the No. 2 spot, Reinoud Haal and Garret Dunn defeated Javier Bernabe and Maksym Bartiuk, 8-6. In addition, Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos dominated Greg Czajkowski and Maximilian Phillips, 8-0, at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, the Black and Gold claimed all six matches. At No. 1 singles, Bruche defeated Bartiuk, 6-1, 6-7, 10-8. At the No. 2 spot, Zotov defeated Titov, 6-1, 6-1. Haal defeated Javier Bernabe, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 3 position. Vasos defeated Turtygin, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 4 spot. McGeorge defeated Phillips 6-2, 6-0, at No. 5 singles. Junior Austen Kauss defeated Greg Czajkowski at the No. 6 spot, 6-1, 6-1.
The Hawkeyes return to action Feb. 21 at Western Michigan. The match is scheduled to begin at noon central time.
#58 Iowa – 7
Northern Illinois – 0
1. Marc Bruche/Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Mikhail Titov/Roman Turtygin (NIU), 8-1
2. Reinoud Haal/Garret Dunn (IOWA) def. Javier Bernabe/Maksym Bartiuk (NIU), 8-6
3. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Greg Czajkowski/Maximilian Phillips (NIU), 8-0
1. Marc Bruche (IOWA) def. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU), 6-1, 6-7, 10-8
2. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Mikhail Titov (NIU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Javier Bernabe (NIU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Austen Kauss (IOWA) def. Greg Czajkowski (NIU), 6-1, 6-1