Feb. 21, 2010
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
KALAMAZOO, MI – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated Western Michigan Sunday in Kalamazoo, MI, 4-3. The 55th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 4-1 on the season with the victory at the West Hills Athletic Club.
“It was a tough battle against a really good team,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “This was a good victory on the road.”
The Hawkeyes, 2-1 away from Iowa City, won two of three doubles matches to claim the point. At No. 2 doubles, Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos defeated Michael Calderone and Thomas Calderone, 8-4. At the No. 3 spot, Casey Cullen and Pablo Olivarez of Western Michigan defeated Reinoud Haal and Garret Dunn, 8-1. Marc Bruche and Nikita Zotov then clinched the point with a victory at the No. 1 position. The duo defeated Kazuya Komada and Zeyad Montasser, 8-5.
In singles play, Vasos won at the No. 4 spot to get things started for the Hawkeyes. The sophomore defeated Casey Cullen, 6-3, 6-4, to push the Iowa advantage to 2-0. After a Hawkeye loss at the No. 6 position, Bruche won at the No. 1 spot and Haal won at the No. 3 spot to clinch the victory. Bruche defeated Michael Calderone, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, and Haal then defeated Pablo Olivarez, 6-2, 6-4.
The Black and Gold, winners of four-straight, return to action Wednesday at rival Drake. The match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center.
#55 Iowa – 4
Western Michigan – 3
1. Marc Bruche/Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Kazuya Komada/Zeyad Montasser (WMU), 8-5
2. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Michael Calderone/Thomas Calderone (WMU), 8-4
3. Casey Cullen/Pablo Olivarez (WMU) def. Reinoud Haal/Garret Dunn (IOWA), 8-1
1. Marc Bruche (IOWA) def. Michael Calderone (WMU), 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
2. Kazuya Komada (WMU) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-4, 6-4
3. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Pablo Olivarez (WMU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Casey Cullen (WMU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Simon Blomberg (WMU) def. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA), 6-4, 6-4
6. Brad Noel (WMU) def. Austen Kauss (IOWA), 6-1, 6-4