March 6, 2010
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
DENVER, CO – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost to Sacramento State Saturday in Denver, CO, 4-3. The 49th-ranked Hawkeyes fall to 6-2 on the season with the loss.
“It was a very tough match,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “We certainly had our chances.”
The Hawkeyes, 3-2 away from Iowa City, were unable to claim the doubles point. Marc Bruche and Nikita Zotov fell at the No. 1 position, 9-8. The duo was defeated by Kiryl Harbatsiuk and Marko Starcevic. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos won their sixth straight. The pair defeated Holden Ching and Jason Smith, 8-3, at the No. 2 spot. At No. 3 doubles, Garret Dunn and Reinoud Haal lost to Anton Stryhas and Tim Lantin, 8-6.
Haal won his seventh straight match at No. 3 singles. The senior defeated Ching, 6-3, 6-2. At No. 5 singles, McGeorge defeated Lantin, 7-5, 6-4. Austen Kauss was victorious at the No. 6 spot. The junior defeated Starcevic, 6-3, 7-6. Bruche fell at the No. 1 position and Zotov lost at the No. 2 spot.
In the deciding match, Vasos fell in a third set tiebreaker at the No. 4 spot. The sophomore lost 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, to Smith.
The Black and Gold return to action Sunday at Denver. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. (CT).
#49 Iowa – 3
Sacramento State – 4
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk/Marko Starcevic (SAC) def. Marc Bruche/Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 9-8
2. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Holden Ching/Jason Smith (SAC), 8-3
3. Anton Stryhas/Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Garrett Dunn/Reinoud Haal (IOWA), 8-6
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Marc Bruche (IOWA), 7-6, 7-5
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-1, 6-0
3. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Holden Ching (SAC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jason Smith (SAC) def. Will Vasos (IOWA), 6-3, 6-7, 7-6
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Tim Lantin (SAC), 7-5, 6-4
6. Austen Kauss (IOWA) def. Marko Starcevic (SAC), 6-3, 7-6