March 27, 2010
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch (2009-10 season)
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
EAST LANSING, MI – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team won at Michigan State to open conference play Saturday, 5-2. The 66th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 9-3 overall with the victory at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
“It was a very good way for us to start off the Big Ten season, especially on the road,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “I was very proud of our guys.”
The Hawkeyes, 6-3 away from Iowa City, swept all three doubles matches to claim the point. At the No. 1 position, Will Vasos and Tommy McGeorge continued their strong play. The duo defeated Austin Brooks and John Stratton, 9-7. Marc Bruche and Tom Mroziewicz were victorious at the No. 2 spot. The pair downed Jason Norville and Joe Vallee, 8-5. Nikita Zotov and Garret Dunn, paired together for the first time this season, also claimed a victory at the No. 3 position. They defeated Denis Bogatov and Clark Richardson, 8-5.
Iowa claimed four singles matches. Bruche, ranked 15th in the central region rankings, defeated Brooks at the No. 1 position, 7-5, 6-3. Vasos downed Norville at the No. 4 spot, 6-3, 0-6, 6-4. At No. 5 singles, McGeorge defeated Stratton 6-2, 6-3. In addition, Austen Kauss won his fourth straight match. The junior downed Richardson at the No. 6 position, 6-2, 6-2.
The Black and Gold, winners of three straight, travel to Ann Arbor, MI, Sunday to face the Michigan Wolverines. The match is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. (CT).
#66 Iowa – 5
Michigan State – 2
1. Marc Bruche (IOWA) def. Austin Brooks (MSU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-4, 6-3
3. Denis Bogatov (MSU) def. Reinoud Haal (IOWA), 6-4, 6-2
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Jason Norville (MSU), 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. John Stratton (MSU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Austen Kauss (IOWA) def. Clark Richardson (MSU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Will Vasos/Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Austin Brooks/John Stratton (MSU), 9-7
2. Marc Bruche/Tom Mroziewicz (IOWA) def. Jason Norville/Joe Vallee (MSU), 8-5
3. Nikita Zotov/Garret Dunn (IOWA) def. Denis Bogatov/Clark Richardson (MSU), 8-5