April 26, 2012
EVANSTON, Ill. –The University of Iowa men’s tennis teams closed the season Thursday at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center, competing in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament. The Hawkeyes (1-22, 0-12) fell to fifth-seeded Indiana (22-8, 8-4), 4-0.
The No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Jonas Dierckx and freshman Matt Haganearned Iowa’s lone win of the match. Dierckx and Hagan defeated Josh MacTaggart and Alastair Barnes, 8-5. Dierckx and Hagan finished the spring season with a 6-6 record.
The Hoosiers won the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead, and would go on to win the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 singles matches to clinch the team victory. The remaining matches were left unfinished.
Dierckx was entering extra games in his first set with Jeremy Langer before the match was called. Dierckx won six games in the set. Sophomore Chase Tomlinsplayed his first match since April 14, and won the first set of his No. 6 singles match with Dimitrije Tasic, 6-4. Tomlins’ match also would go unfinished.
The Hawkeyes will have to replace seniors Mitch Beckert, Tom Mroziewicz, Christopher Speer and Will Vasosto graduation. Iowa will be returning eight letter winners, all of which picked up experience in either singles or doubles in the spring season.
Indiana 4, Iowa 0
1. Isade Juneau (IND) def. Matt Hagan (IOWA) 6-0, 6-2
2. #79 Josh MacTaggart (IND) def. Will Vasos (IOWA) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jeremy Langer (IND) vs. Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) 6-6, unfinished
4. Stephen Vogl (IND) def. Garret Dunn (IOWA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Will Kendall (IND) vs. Tom Mroziewicz (IOWA) 7-6 (7-0), 5-0, unfinished
6. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) vs. Chase Tomlins (IOWA) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4
1. #77 Jeremy Langer/Isade Juneau (IND) def. Garret Dunn/Michael Swank (IOWA) 8-5
2. Matt Hagan/Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) def. Josh MacTaggart/Alastair Barnes (IND) 8-5
3. Stephen Vogl/Will Kendall (IND) def. Tom Mroziewicz/Will Vasos (IOWA) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1