Aug. 30, 2012
- 2012 UI Fall Football Camp Central
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — The Hawkeye Express will depart its off-season home at Iowa Northern Railway Company’s Bryant Yard maintenance facility Tuesday, September 4, to position for another season of transporting University of Iowa football fans to Kinnick Stadium. The six-car, black and gold train will leave Waterloo at approximately 1 p.m., traveling south through the communities of Washburn, LaPorte City, Mt. Auburn, Vinton, Shellsburg, and Palo; arriving downtown Cedar Rapids around 3:30 p.m. The train will then transfer to the Iowa Interstate Railroad for delivery to its season home in Coralville.
“We’re pleased to be a part of game day at Iowa and look forward to another year of moving thousands of passengers hassle-free in an out of Kinnick Stadium,” said Dan Sabin, President of Iowa Northern Railway. “This year we began making capital improvements to the train, including new windows and updated exterior paint, to bring an even sharper look and enjoyable ride for our passengers, with plans to complete the entire train in the coming seasons.”
Hawkeye Express has been available for transportation to Kinnick Stadium since 2004. The Express has a capacity of more than 1,200 fans per trip and the service has grown each season. The Hawkeye Express averaged 3,900 riders per game in 2008, while the average grew to 4,600 for Hawkeye home games in 2011.
Service begins three hours prior to games that start at 11 a.m. and four hours prior to home contests scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Post-game service starts at the end of the third quarter and runs 90 minutes following the game.
- Please Note: All times are subject to change – please contact Joshua Sabin for updates on the train’s location.
- Bryant Yard is located at 1330 Sheffield Avenue in Waterloo, just off Highway 218.
- For more information on the Iowa Northern Railway Company or the Hawkeye Express, please visit iowanorthern.com or like us on facebook.