April 4, 2014
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The University of Iowa opened the Arkansas Spring Invitational with a clean sweep of medals in the women’s hammer throw Friday night.
Smith, Iowa’s school record holder, led from start to finish. She recorded the six best marks of the competition, including a spot of 194-0 (59.13m) on her fifth attempt.
Simpson hit 183-7 (55.96m) in the third round to grab second place, and Gulvas finished the round with a season-best mark of 183-3 (55.87m). She jumped three spots, from sixth to third, in her final attempt.
“It was a solid start to the weekend,” said UI head coach Layne Anderson. “We showed some great consistency and the potential for big things moving forward through the season.”
The Arkansas Spring Invitation resumes Saturday morning with field events starting at 9:30 a.m. (CT). Running events begin at 1:30 p.m. (CT). Live results are available on the schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.