Feb. 19, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad/iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- Read the September issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
The University of Iowa women’s golf team opens the spring season on Feb. 21-22, when they travel to the Westbrook Golf Club Vistas Course in Peoria, Arizona, for the Westbrook Spring Invite.
The 54-hole tournament — hosted by Wisconsin — begins with a 9:30 a.m. (CT) shotgun start Sunday (36 holes) and concludes with an 9:30 a.m. shotgun start Monday (18 holes).
The field includes 15 teams: Iowa, Wisconsin, College of Charleston, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Oregon State, San Diego State, SMU, UNLV, and Washington State.
At the top of the lineup in the number one spot will be senior Amy Ihm, followed by junior Jessie Sindlinger and sophomore Jessica Ip. Freshman Kristin Glesne and sophomore Elisa Suarez round out the Hawkeye lineup. Senior Briana Midkiff will compete as an individual.
• Westbrook Golf Club Vistas Course has a 6,269-yard, par-72 layout.
• The Vistas Course opened in 1990 and was built by designed by Ken Cavannaugh.
• The course features a desert/links layout, with more spacious fairways, larger greens, and fewer trees.
• Junior Jessie Sindlinger fired a career best 54-hole score of 218 (+2) at the New Mexico State Aggie Invitational on Oct. 7.
• Amy Ihm earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors for her performance at the Johnie Imes Invitational on Sept. 28-29. The senior fired a career-best, 54-hole score of of 213 (-3) to tie for eighth at the tournament.
• Iowa’s even-par 864 team score at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29 broke the 54-hole pro- gram record of 879 — previously set at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in 2012 — by 15 strokes.
• Ihm’s 138 (-6; 68, 70) two-round score at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29 — a career best– also tied the program record for individual performance for 36 holes previously set by Kristi Cardwell in 2012.
HISTORICALLY AT THE WESTBROOK INVITE
• Last year, Iowa finished ninth in the 15 team field. The Hawkeyes carded a three round total 882 (+18), with rounds of 298, 292 and 292.
• Sindlinger carded a career-low 68 (-4) in the third round. The sophomore’s third round effort put her name in the Iowa record books, tying Kristi Cardwell and Tyrette Metzendorf for the second-lowest 18-hole score all-time. Sindlinger finished the tournament tied for 33rd with a three round total of 221 (+4; 78, 75, 68).
• In 2014, the Hawkeyes established a new 54-hole school record with their 877 (+13) team total. Iowa finished 11th in the 14 team field.
• In 2012, Iowa set a new school record score for 54-holes, finishing the event with an 879 (+15; 290, 294, 295), breaking the previous mark of 888 set at the Challenge at Onion Creek on Nov. 2-3, 2009. Iowa finished the invitational tied for fifth out of 12 teams.
HAWKEYES IN THE TOP 10
• The Hawkeyes have had a total of eight individual top-10 finishes in three tournaments this season.
• Ihm (T-8th) and Elisa Suarez (T-8th) finished in the top-10 at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29.
• Ihm (7th) and Sindlinger (T-8th) collected top-10 finishes at the New Mexico State Aggie Invitational on Oct. 7.
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes concluded their fall season at the Pinehurst Challenge on Oct. 13, tying for fourth in the 19-team field. Iowa posted a 300 (+12) on the final 18 holes at Pinehurst Resort’s Course No. 1 to finish with a 54-hole team score of 873 (+9; 288, 285, 300).
Senior Amy Ihm and sophomore Elisa Suarez led the way for the Hawkeyes throughout the two-day tournament. Ihm carded a 75 (+3) on the final 18 holes to finish with a total of 218 (+2). Suarez tied for 20th with Ihm after carding a 75 (+3) in the final round for a total of 218 (+2).
IHM NAMED B1G GOLFER OF THE WEEK
Senior Amy Ihm earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors for her performance at the Johnie Imes Invitational on Sept. 28-29. It is the first honor of her career.
The Peosta, Iowa, native is the first Hawkeye to earn the weekly conference honor since Lauren English on April 3, 2013. Ihm fired a career-best, 54-hole score of of 213 (-3) to tie for eighth at the Johnie Imes Invitational.
• Ip finished 10 shots in front of runners-up Andrea Slane and Michelle Xie.
• The individual title is Iowa’s first since Feb. 14, 2008 when Tyrette Metzendorf won the Baja Invitational after carding a three-round total of 224 (74, 71, 79).
•Ip’s three-round total also broke Iowa’s program record of 213 for individual 54-hole performance previously set by Kristi Cardwell in 2012.
A TITLE TO START
The Hawkeyes claimed the team title at the Diane Thomason Invitational, carding a 54-hole total of 888 (298-300-290). The team title is the first for the program since April 11, 2012 when the Hawkeyes posted an 884 to win the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic. Four Hawkeyes — Ip, Sindlinger, Ihm and Kim– notched top-10 finishes.
3 NAMED TO B1G WATCH LIST
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Amy Ihm, junior Jessie Sindlinger and sophomore Jessica Ip— have been named to the 2015-16 Big Ten Women’s Golfers to Watch List.
• Ihm competed in all six spring competitions, tallying a 76.7 scoring average — the third best average on the team.
• Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, registered a 76.5 scoring average — the second best scoring average on the team.
• Ip impressed in her first season for the Hawkeyes, competing in all six spring competitions and posting a 77.7 scoring average.
ON THE HORIZON
The Hawkeyes travel to Kiawah Island, South Carolina, to compete at the Edwin Watts Kiawah Island Classic from Feb. 28 – March 1.