IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team split its two matches Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex (HTRC). The Hawkeyes opened the day with a 6-1 win over Omaha, before being edged by Drake, 4-3, in the nightcap.
“I thought our guys competed and controlled our emotions well today,” said Iowa head coach Ross Wilson.” We played doubles at a high level today, winning both doubles points.”
In the first match of the day, Iowa claimed the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The Hawkeyes cruised to their fourth win of the season recording straight sets wins in four of the six singles matches: Lefteris Theodorou (6-2, 6-1), Kareem Allaf (6-0, 6-2), Robin Haden (6-2, 7-5), and Jonas Larsen (6-1, 7-5). Jason Kerst won his first spring match as a Hawkeye in three sets on court six: 3-6, 7-5, 10-6.
The final match of the day was an intense matchup from the start. Iowa secured the doubles point with 6-4 victories on courts one and three.
Iowa’s lead stretched to 2-0 after junior Jake Jacoby posted a 6-4, 6-0 win on court six. Drake (4-1) rallied to take the next four singles matches before Haden won the final singles match in three sets: 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(5).
“It was a long, tough day playing two in a row, finishing with a great Drake team, who has been a Top 50 team six years in a row,” Wilson said. “Our last two matches against Drake have been by 4-3 decisions. The guys competed well and I’m proud of the product that we put out on the court.”
Wilson liked what he saw out of Haden today, winning both singles and doubles matches.
“It was nice to see Robin pull out a 7-6 win in the third against Drake, hopefully he’ll take some confidence from that,” said Wilson. “He believes in himself a little more. It was nice to see him push to the finish line.”
Iowa returns to action on Sunday when the Hawkeyes host Dartmouth at 11 a.m. (CT) at the HTRC. Admission is free to the public.
Iowa 6, Omaha 1
1. Razvan Grigorescu (UNO) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-4, 6-7(10), 10-8
2. Lefteris Theodorou (UI) def. Matt Dunn (UNO): 6-2, 6-1
3. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Colin Buckley (UNO): 6-0, 6-2
4. Robin Haden (UI) def. Nathan Reekie (UNO): 6-2, 7-5
5. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Joni Heizlsperger (UNO): 6-1, 6-2
6. Jason Kerst (UI) def. Alex Woodward (UNO): 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
Order of finish: 2,3,5,4,6,1
1. Silverstein/Theodorou vs. Grigorescu/Buckley (UNO): unfinished
2. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Reekie/Dunn: 6-1
3. Haden/Hallestrand (UI) def. Ellis/Heizlsperger (UNO): 6-3
Order of finish: 2,3
Drake 4, Iowa 3
#73 Vinny Gillespie (DU) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 7-5, 6-1
Calum MacGeoch (DU) def. Lefteris Theodorou (UI): 0-6, 6-3, 7-6(3)
Ben Stride (DU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-4, 6-2
Robin Haden (UI) def. Barnaby Thorold (DU): 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(5)
Tom Hands (DU) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Ben Clark (DU): 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,3,1,5,2,4
1. Silverstein/Theodorou (UI) def. Gillespie/MacGeoch (DU): 6-4
2. Allaf/Larsen (UI) vs. Stride/Wood (DU): unfinished
3. Jacoby/Larsen (UI) def. Hands/Barnaby (DU): 6-4
Order of finish: 3,1