DENVER — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team picked up another big road win on Sunday defeating the Denver Pioneers, 5-2.
“The win today was a total team effort,” said UI head coach Ross Wilson. “The competition level was high and we fought for every point. It was a great road win for us.”
The Hawkeyes started strong with a doubles point victory on courts one and three. Juniors Josh Silverstein and Lefteris Theodorou improved to 6-2 on the season with the victory over the No. 34 ranked doubles tandem in the country. The Iowa duo took down Denver seniors Yannik James and Alex Gasson, 7-5.
Theodorou picked up a No. 1 singles win as well over Diogo Rocha in a three set decision. The singles win was the Hawkeye junior’s team-leading seventh of the year.
After a loss at six last weekend, Hawkeye junior Jake Jacoby finished off Sean Huynh in straight sets.
The match was clinched by redshirt Kareem Allaf on court three. The native of Dubai, UAE, improved to 6-3 in his debut season.
“We are excited to be home for the next three weeks,” added Wilson.
The Hawkeyes return to action on March 3, hosting Utah and Southern Illinois in a doubleheader before beginning Big Ten play on March 5 against Wisconsin.
IOWA 5, DENVER 2
- Lefteris Theodorou (UI) def. Diogo Rocha (DU): 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-4
- Yannik James (DU) def. No. 103 Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-4, 6-3
- Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Alex Gasson (DEN): 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Jesse Ruder-Hook (DU) def. Robin Haden (UI): 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Pedro F. Del Valle (DU): 6-2, 6-2
- Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Sean Huynh (DU): 7-5, 6-3
- Theodorou/Silverstein (UI) def. No. 34 James/Gasson (DU): 7-5
- Allaf/Larsen (UI) vs. Ruder-Hook/Rocha (DU): 6-6, unfinished
- Jacoby/Larsen (UI) def. Del Valle/Fryer (DU): 7-6(5)