WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell at Purdue, 5-2, Friday evening. The match was played indoors at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
Junior Josh Silverstein, who is ranked No. 109 nationally, improved his win stream to six with a victory over Ricky Medinilla, 6-3, 6-3, in the two spot. Four of his last six wins have been in straight sets.
Also in singles action, senior Robin Haden took down Renan Hanayama at five in a third set tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8). Haden has four wins at No. 5 as a Hawkeye.
Purdue won the doubles point and posted victories at one, three, four, and six in singles competition.
The Hawkeyes (11-12, 1-7) return to action Sunday with two matches: Indiana at Noon (ET) in Bloomington and Butler in Indianapolis at 6 p.m. (ET).
PURDUE 5, IOWA 2
1. #95 Gergely Madarasz (PUR) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-4, 6-4
2. #109 Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Ricky Medinilla (PUR): 6-3, 6-3
3. Benjamin Ugarte (PUR) def. Jake Jacoby (UI): 6-1, 6-0
4. Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-4, 6-2
5. Robin Haden (UI) def. Renan Hanayama (PUR): 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Athell Bennett (PUR) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3,1,4,2,6,5
1. #20 Madarasz/Medinilla (PUR) def. Allaf/Silverstein (UI): 6-1
2. Hanayama/Ugarte (PUR) def. Haden/Jacoby (UI): 6-1
3. Athell Bennett/Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR) vs. Hallestrand/Larsen (UI): 3-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 2,1