The University of Iowa men’s tennis team travels to Purdue this week for the 2017 Big Ten Tournament as the No. 10 seed. The Hawkeyes will match up against No. 7 Penn State on Thursday at 2 p.m. (ET) for the first round of action at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
HAWKS ON THE RISE
• Junior Josh Silverstein moved to 13th on Iowa’s career doubles wins list with a total
• He is also tied for fourth on Iowa’s single-season doubles wins list with 20 victories
• Silverstein and junior Jake Jacoby are closing in on Iowa’s career singles wins top-15.
• Jacoby is ranked 10th for combined singles and doubles wins at Iowa with 111.
• Redshirt freshman Kareem Allaf moved into the 10 spot for single-season singles
wins, collecting 22 so far this season.
PENN STATE PREVIEW:
• Penn State’s only ranked doubles team of Constant De La Bassetiere and Christian
Lakoseljac is 65th nationally.
• The Nittany Lions are 15-11 on the season and 5-4 in conference play.
• The Hawkeyes dropped to Penn State, 4-3, earlier on April 2.
B1G MATCH UPS:
The 2017 Big Ten Tournament begins on Thursday with four matches:
No. 8 Minnesota vs. No. 9 Indiana (9 a.m.)
No. 5 Northwestern vs. No. 12 Michigan State (11:30 a.m.)
No. 7 Penn State vs. No. 10 Iowa (2 p.m.)
No. 6 Purdue vs. No. 11 Nebraska (4:30 p.m.)
No. 1 Ohio State, No. 2 Michigan, No. 3 Illinois, and No. 4 Wisconsin all recieved first round byes. Michigan will play the winner of the match between Iowa and Indiana in the quarterfinals on Friday at 2 p.m. (ET).
Last year, the Hawkeyes saw Indiana in the first round. They advanced over the Hoosiers, 4-1, to face Michigan.
In the quarterfinals, the Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes, 4-1.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Hawkeyes all season long and receive live match updates on Facebook (facebook.com/IowaMensTennis) and Twitter (@IowaMensTennis). Fans can also get a behind the scene look on Instagram (iowamenstennis).
Live scoring will be available on hawkeyesports.com and purduesports.com while a match is in progress. At the conclusion of each, live scoring will reset, and a box score will be posted on the tournament central webpage. Live streaming is also available on hawkeyesports.com and purduesports.com for all indoor competition, should inclement weather affect the tournament.