LONG BEACH, Calif. — The University of Iowa volleyball team claimed a 3-0 victory over Wright State on Friday afternoon, holding the Raiders to a .122 attacking percentage in the season opener at the LBSU Invitational.
FIGHT FOR IOWA
Taylor Louis lit up the court in her first match as a Hawkeye, amassing 13 kills and a .545 attacking percentage. Louis added three blocks for Iowa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Set 1 (25-22) | After a slow start in a back-and-forth set that featured 10 lead changes and 15 ties, the Hawkeyes found their rhythm towards the end the set and secured a 25-22 set victory. Louis garnered six kills, including set point, to lead Iowa.
Set 2 (25-16) | The Hawkeyes took an early 5-2 lead and never looked back as they took a 2-0 match advantage. Iowa held a 17-10 lead when Wright State scored three consecutive points in an attempted comeback, but the Hawkeyes went on a 6-1 run with kills by Cali Hoye (2) and Taylin Alm (1) to extend the lead to 23-15. A Gabrielle Orr kill secured the set win.
Set 3 (25-22) | With the score knotted at 13-13, a kill by freshman Claire Sheehan sparked a 7-1 run, giving the Hawkeyes a 20-14 lead. The Raiders cut Iowa’s lead to 24-22 before Reghan Coyle’s kill secured a 3-0 match victory for the Hawkeyes.
HEAR FROM COACH SHYMANSKY
“It was nice to get most of our Hawkeyes involved today. We had a lot of good contribution from different places. There are some basic things we can take care of, like better serving and better passing. We have to work through those nerves a little too. We have three young players out there and a couple of new players in different positions. It was a little rusty at times, but we got it going. You can see as the match went on, our offense started getting better, our passing got better and everything improved as we went through the course of the match. We are going to need to play better and be more focused tomorrow when we take on Stanford.”
- Iowa is now 3-0 all-time against Wright State.
- The Hawkeyes have won 9 out of the last 10 season openers, including each of the last three years.
- Hoye racked up a career-best seven kills.
- Jess Janota and Coyle each had five kills, while Coyle had a .400 attacking percentage.
- Orr led Iowa with 38 assists in her first match as a Hawkeye.
- Iowa: 1-0
- Wright State: 0-1
- Iowa: vs. No. 2 Stanford (0-0)| LBSU Invitational | Long Beach, Calif. | Saturday, Aug. 26 | Noon (CT)
- Wright State: vs. Long Beach State (0-0) | LBSU Invitational |Long Beach, Calif. | Friday, Aug. 25 | 9 pm (CT)
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa Volleyball program and access to exclusive coverage, “like” University of Iowa Volleyball on Facebook and follow @IowaVolleyball on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.