IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis opened the 2018 spring season with a win over Marquette in shutout fashion, 7-0.
Iowa quickly picked up the doubles point to start the match. Junior Jonas Larsen and redshirt sophomore Kareem Allaf notched their sixth win together as a Hawkeyes. The freshmen tandem of Piotr Smietana and Will Davies saw their first win as a pair on court two.
In singles, Larsen won the most impressive match of the day, coming back from a 5-2 deficit in the second set to win, 6-0, 7-5, over Brett Meyers.
“Coach Hagan and I were talking during the match about focusing on the first serve and getting that second and third shot in play,” said Larsen. “I was upset on the sideline but calm and focused on the court. I think it was that state of mind that got me through.
“Being an upperclassmen and having two seasons under my belt really helped me a lot in that situation because when you’re down like that in a set it’s all about the mental side of tennis.”
Davies, Smietana, and freshman Joe Tyler all saw their first collegiate victories on courts five, two, and three, respectively.
Iowa returns to action tonight when the Hawkeyes host Western Michigan at 6 p.m. (CT) at the HTRC. Admission is free to the public.
QUOTING HEAD COACH ROSS WILSON
“To be able to win, 6-1, and 6-0, on courts one and two in doubles is impressive. I was happy with the guys in singles action. They were all able to come out and get first set wins and were able to finish matches off. I didn’t see anyone get too nervous when they got into winning positions. I thought we stuck to the plan, which was important.”
Iowa 7, Marquette 0
Jan. 19, 2018 | 11 a.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Alvaro Verdu (MU): 6-2, 6-4
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Luis Heredia Gomez (MU): 6-3, 6-4
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Luke Smrek (MU): 6-4, 6-1
4. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Brett Meyers (MU): 6-0, 7-5
5. Will Davies (UI) def. Brandon Shanklin (MU): 602, 7-6(0)
6. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Julian Robinson (MU): 7-5, 6-2
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Verdu/Gomez (MU): 6-1
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Anderson/Meyers (MU): 6-0
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Smrek/Christian (MU): unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,4,1,2,6,5)