DES MOINES, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to the Drake Bulldogs Friday evening at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center.
Iowa dropped a hard-fought doubles point for just the second time in six matches this season. Freshmen Piotr Smietana and Will Davies recorded a 6-2 victory on court two. The win was the duo’s third straight doubles win and fourth in six matches. Redshirt sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larsen were edged, 7-5, in the clinching match to Drake’s top doubles tandem.
Davies registered another singles win of the spring season on court five tonight with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Drake’s Ben Wood.
Freshmen Smietana lost to Vinny Gillespie, ranked No. 120 nationally, on court one, while Tyler and Jacoby lost in straight sets on courts two and six, respectively.
After playing four straight matches away from home, Iowa returns to Iowa City for two matches. The Hawkeyes host Arizona at noon, followed by IUPUI at 6 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
Drake 4, Iowa 1
Feb. 9, 2018 | 6 p.m. | Des Moines, Iowa | Roger Knapp Tennis Center
1. #120 Vinny Gillespie (DU) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-2, 6-1
2. Tom Hands (DU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-1, 6-2
3. Barny Thorold (DU) vs. Kareem Allaf (UI): 7-6, 3-4, unfinished
4. Ben Clark (DU) vs. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-7, 0-1, unfinished
5. Will Davies (UI) def. Ben Wood (DU): 6-2, 6-4
6. Finley Hall (DU) def. Jake Jacoby (UI): 6-3, 6-4
1. Gillespie/Thorold (DU) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 7-5
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Wood/Hall (DU): 6-2
3. Hands/Clark def. Tyler/Jacoby (UI): 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,5,6)