IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team posted wins over Arizona (4-1) and IUPUI (7-0) Sunday at the HTRC.
The Hawkeyes started out strong again by capturing the doubles point against the Wildcats.
Redshirt sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larson made quick work of Arizona’s No. 1 doubles team, 6-2. Jake Jacoby and Joe Tyler clinched the doubles point for Iowa in a gritty, 7-6(1) victory on court three.
The Hawkeyes played with a lot of intensity in singles action against the Wildcats. Freshmen Piotr Smietana got things going in singles action with a 7-5, 6-1 triumph on court two. Other Hawkeyes notching singles wins over the Wildcats were Allaf and Tyler.
In the nightcap against the Jaguars, the Hawkeyes swept all three doubles matches. Davies and Smietana have now won five of their last eight with one match unfinished at No. 2 doubles.
Larsen notched a win on court three to secure the Hawkeyes’ fourth team point and the win.
Jacoby and Jason Kerst rounded out Iowa’s lineup at No. 5 and 6, respectively. Both student-athletes recorded singles victories, including Kerst’s first of the spring campaign.
The Hawkeyes remain home for another doubleheader against Creighton (11 a.m.) and Denver (6 p.m.) on Friday at the HTRC. Admission is free to the public.
QUOTING HEAD COACH ROSS WILSON
Starting the season off with five difficult matches in a row, I think our guys learned a lot about our team and what it takes to win. Also, what it takes to win in the future matches that we have coming up. It was great for us to put it all together today and comeback after losing some first sets. It was a team effort today. We put it all together and our guys should be proud of what they did.
We continue to play well in doubles. We have won the doubles point in every match but two and we’ve also had match points in all the matches we’ve lost.
Iowa 4, Arizona 1
Feb. 11, 2018 | Noon | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Josh Silverstein (UI) vs. Igor Karpovets (ARIZ): 5-7, 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Aaro Pollanen (ARIZ): 7-5, 6-1
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Trent Botha (ARIZ): 6-2, 7-5
4. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Jonas Maier (ARIZ): 6-0, 6-2
5. Jonas Larsen vs. Filip Malbasic (ARIZ): 4-6, 6-3, (2-0), unfinished
6. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Will Davies (UI): 6-3, 6-1
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Hassey/Karpovets (ARIZ): 6-2
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) vs. Botha/Malbasic (ARIZ): 6-6, (3-5), unfinished
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Maier/Reguant (ARIZ): 7-6(1)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,2,3,4)
Iowa 7, IUPUI 0
Feb. 11, 2018 | 6 p.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Sean Bailey (IUPUI): 6-7, 6-1, 10-8
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Jac Newis (IUPUI): 6-1, 6-2
3. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Bradley Luetschwager (IUPUI): 6-2, 7-5
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI): 6-0, 6-2
5. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI): 6-3,
6. Jason Kerst (UI) def. Grant Esposito (IUPUI): 6-0, 6-1
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Luetschwager/Weaver (IUPUI): 6-4
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Budio/Newis (IUPUI): 7-5
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Bailey/Beasley (IUPUI): 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,2,3,1,6,5)