IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis won its third straight match Friday afternoon, dropping Creighton, 7-0, in a nonconference matchup.
The Hawkeyes needed only 25 minutes to secure the doubles point with the home squad posting 6-2 wins on courts two and three. Iowa’s No. 2 doubles tandem of freshmen Will Davies and Piotr Smietana notched their six win in eight decisions this spring.
Davies and Tyler carried that momentum into singles competition where the England natives each notched their fifth win of the young season with victories on courts four and three, respectively. Tyler’s match clinch the win for the Hawkeyes. Sophomore Kareem Allaf win his match on court two over Stratton Brown.
Senior Josh Silverstein went to a third set tiebreaker against Creighton’s Brooks Kendall that went back-and-forth. Silverstein fought off a couple match points and ultimately outlasted the Creighton senior, 15-13.
Sophomore Jason Kerst who played at No. 6, won his second consecutive singles match, bouncing Michael Koch, 6-3, 6-2. Senior Jake Jacoby completed the sweep by recording a 7-6(3), 6-4, win over Jose Oscar Diaz on court five.
Iowa returns to action tonight against Denver (3-1) at 6 p.m. (CT) at the HTRC. Admission is free to the public.
Iowa 7, Creighton 0
Feb. 17, 2018 | 11 a.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Brooks Kendall (CU): 3-6, 6-2, 15-13
2. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Stratton Brown (CU): 6-1, 6-2
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Alex Koca (CU): 6-2, 6-2
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Armando Gandini (CU): 6-0, 6-3
5. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Jose Oscar Diaz (CU): 7-6(3), 6-4
6. Jason Kerst (UI) def. Michael Koch (CU): 6-3, 6-2
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) vs. Kendall/Brown (CU): 4-4, unfinished
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Koca/Gandini (CU): 6-2
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Koch/Hoff (CU): 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,2,3,6,1,5)