LA JOLLA, Calif. — The No. 42 University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision to No. 31 Texas Tech Monday afternoon. The match was competed on a neutral site at the Hogan Tennis Center in California.
The match started with the Hawkeyes securing the doubles point for the 12th time in 15 matches, recording wins of 6-2 and 6-1 on courts one and three, respectively. Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen, the 54th-ranked doubles team in the country, took down Texas Tech’s 79th-ranked squad, 6-2. Joe Tyler and partner Jake Jacoby won their third straight doubles match, bouncing the Red Raiders’ No. 3 team, 6-1.
Will Davies continues to be a dominant force on court six, winning his seventh consecutive match, 6-2, 6-4. Davies has won six of the seven matches during the streak in straight sets.
Texas Tech rallied to win the match with singles wins on courts one through four. Allaf and Tyler lost their singles matches in three sets on courts three and four, respectively, while Larsen was in a close match in the third set on court five when the match was clinched.
- Iowa has won the doubles point in 12 of its 15 matches.
- Iowa is only the fifth Texas Tech opponent in 18 matches to capture the doubles point.
- The Hawkeyes have won seven of their last nine matches.
- Monday was Iowa’s fifth match against a ranked opponent this season.
The nationally-ranked Hawkeyes return to Iowa City to begin conference competition on Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
QUOTING COACH ROSS WILSON:
“Texas Tech is a well-coached team and very talented. We played well in doubles and lost three close three-set matches. The guys competed well. I really like where our team is at going into the Big Ten season.”
#31 Texas Tech 4, #42 Iowa 2
March 12, 2018 | 2 p.m. (CT) | La Jolla, California | Hogan Tennis Center
1. Tommy Mylnikov (TTU) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-2, 6-3
2. Connor Curry (TTU) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 7-6(2), 6-4
3. Alex Sendegeya (TTU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Ilgiz Valiev (TTU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 2-6, 4-6, 3-6
5. Jonas Larsen (UI) vs. Artem Kapshuk (TTU): 7-5, 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
6. Will Davies (UI) def. Jackson Cobb (TTU): 6-2, 6-4
1. #54 Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. #79 Curry/Mylnikov (TTU): 6-2
2. #51 Smietana/Davies (UI) vs. #70 Cobb/Sendegeya (TTU): 3-4, unfinished
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Valiev/Kapshuk (TTU): 6-1
#42 Iowa: 8-7
#31 Texas Tech: 14-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,2,3,4)