DAYTON, Ohio — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team beat Dayton, 4-2, on Friday morning at the Five Seasons Sports Complex. The win earned the Hawkeyes their fourth straight victory.
The Hawkeyes won the doubles point for the 17th time this season. Most notably, senior Jake Jacoby and freshman Joe Tyler won their seventh straight decision on court three, extending Jacoby’s career long doubles match win streak. Sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larsen, ranked No. 51 nationally, won their third straight match on court one, 6-4, over Dayton’s Berry/Fisher. Jacoby/Tyler and Allaf/Larsen have each won 12 doubles matches this spring.
The visitors went 3-2 in singles action, winning on courts four through six, to secure the team victory. Allaf, Larsen, and Will Davies all won in straight sets to hand the Flyers only their fourth defeat of the season. Allaf’s win was Iowa’s fifth consecutive victory on court five.
Davies recorded his 13th win of his last 16 decisions. Piotr Smietana (7-5, 6-2) and Tyler (6-3, 2-6, 6-4) lost on courts two and three, respectively. Senior Josh Silverstein’s match against undefeated Jordan Benjamin of Dayton was in the third set before the match was called off once the Hawkeyes clinched the match.
The Hawkeyes will look to improve their conference record later today at No. 3 Ohio State in Columbus. Click the following link to follow along with tonight’s match at nationally-ranked Ohio State: https://bit.ly/2l29n17
Iowa 4, Dayton 2
April 6, 2018 | 10 a.m. (CT) | Dayton, Ohio | Five Seasons Sports Club
1. Jordan Benjamin (UD) vs. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-3, 4-6, 1-1, unfinished
2. Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 7-5, 6-2
3. Zach Berry (UD) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
4. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Theo Jener (UD): 6-4, 6-4
5. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Steven Karl (UD): 6-2, 6-0
6. Will Davies (UI) def. Will Harper (UD): 6-2, 6-1
1. #51 Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Berry/Fisher (UD): 6-4
2. Benjamin/Jener (UD) vs. #62 Davies/Smietana (UI): 4-2, unfinished
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Karl/Rollhauser (UD): 6-1
Order of finish: N/A