IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team improved to 4-0 on Friday after registering a pair of home wins over North Dakota (7-0) and East Tennessee State (4-3) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
The Hawkeyes cruised to victory over the Fighting Hawks in the first match of the day. Iowa started the contest with wins on courts one and two to claim the doubles point. Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen won 6-1 at No. 1, while Oliver Okonkwo and Will Davies tallied a 6-2 triumph on court two.
Iowa won all six singles matches against North Dakota, dropping just one set out of 13. Junior Jason Kerst humbled Chuck Tang of North Dakota (6-0, 6-0) on court six in his first match of the spring. Davies continues to be a pivotal piece in Hawkeye success, dominating on court four (6-2, 6-0). On court one, 73rd-ranked Allaf clinched the dual winning in straight sets (6-3, 6-1). The Hawkeyes added three more points with wins by Piotr Smietana, Larsen, and Okonkwo on courts five, two, and three, respectively.
In the nightcap, Iowa won the doubles point after posting convincing wins on courts one (6-1) and two (6-2). In singles play, Davies extended Iowa’s advantage to 2-0 after a straight sets win on court five. Smietana and Allaf clinched the match for the Hawkeyes with wins on courts six and one, respectively. Allaf’s win recorded his second victory over another ranked opponent, dropping the No. 123rd ranked singles player in the country (6-4, 7-5).
Quoting Mellecker Family Head Coach Ross Wilson
“One of our goals was to come out and get started quickly in doubles and we were able to do that. I thought in singles we played well as a team for about an hour and a half. It was good to see Kareem, Will, and Piotr win their matches. I think we are a better team than we showed today. Hopefully, it was part of being at the beginning of the season and we show a lot of growth.”
Iowa hosts Butler on Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT) at the HTRC. Admission is free.
Iowa 7, North Dakota 0
Jan. 25, 2019 | 11 a.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. #73 Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Njec Sitar (UND): 6-3, 6-1
2. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Lukas Buth (UND): 7-5, 6-4
3. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Johnnie Carmichael (UND): 6-2, 5-7, 10-8
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Davide Callegari (UND): 6-2, 6-0
5. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Jake Kuhlman (UND): 6-3, 7-5
6. Jason Kerst (UI) def. Chuck Tang (UND): 6-0- 6-0
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Sitar/Buth (UND): 6-1
2. Okonkwo/Davies (UI) def. Carmicheal/Callegari (UND): 6-2
3. Smietana/Kerst (UI) vs. Kuhlman/Tang (UND): 5-4, unfinished
North Dakota: 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,4,1,5,3,2)
Iowa 4, East Tennessee State 3
Jan. 25, 2019 | 6 p.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. #73 Kareem Allaf (UI) def. #123 Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU): 6-4, 7-5
2. Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Juan Lugo (ETSU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Yusuf Khamis (ETSU) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 6-3, 6-4
5. Will Davies (UI) def. David Gonzales (ETSU): 6-0, 6-3
6. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Miguel Este (ETSU): 6-3, 6-3
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Lugo/Mikrovas (ETSU): 6-1
2. Okonkwo/Davies (UI) def. Yusuf Khamis/Rengifo (ETSU): 6-2
3. Smietana/Tyler (UI) vs. Fontcuberta/Este (ETSU): 4-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,6,4,1,2,3)