IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped its first match of the season on Friday, falling to Miami, 5-2, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center.
The Hawkeyes lost the doubles point for the first time this season. Oliver Okonkwo and Will Davies won on court two, defeating Miami’s Dunlap and Madonia, 6-3. Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen dropped their first match of the spring on court one (6-4), while Piotr Smietana and Joe Tyler lost on court three (6-3).
In singles play, four of the six matches went to three sets. Okonkwo was the only Hawkeye to register to a victory. The freshman won his match in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6(5) on court four. Allaf pushed the 13th-ranked player in the country to a third set, but ultimately fell (6-4, 5-7, 3-6). Davies fell in two tiebreaks (6-7, 6-7), his first singles setback of the season. Smietana battled all the way back to push a third set before falling, 3-6, 7-5, 5-7. The final two matches did not finish due to time constraints. Larsen had the edge on court two in the third set, 4-3. Tyler was in the third set as well, trailing the 58th-ranked player, 4-3, when the match was suspended.
Quoting Mellecker Family Head Coach Ross Wilson
“I think a big key for us all season is going to be doubles. I thought we came out pretty flat. We didn’t finish games that we were up 40-15 and serving. We had multiple game points that we were unable to put away. We were down on courts one and three in a six-game set, so the best you can do is win 7-5. Unfortunately, we were unable to any of those matches out. But a good job by our guys in singles to come back and bring the fight and win four of those first sets and be in it all the way to the end until Piotr lost the final match in the third set. I thought our competition level was high for the most part, but we need to be a little sharper against a caliber of team like Miami if we want to have success.”
The Hawkeyes return to action on Sunday, hosting Utah at 11 a.m. (CT) at the HTRC in Iowa City. Admission is free.
Miami 4, Iowa 1
Feb. 8, 2019 | 3 p.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. #13 Adria Soriana Barrera (UM) def. #89 Kareem Allaf (UI): 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Jonas Larsen (UI) vs. Francos Bastias (UM): 7-6(5), 4-6, 4-3
3. Joe Tyler (UI) vs. #58 Bojan Jankulovski (UM): 7-5, 4-6, 3-4
4. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Dane Dunlap (UM): 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. William Grattan-Smith (UM) def. Will Davies (UI): 7-6(2), 7-6(4)
6. Stephan Madonia (UM) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-3, 5-7, 7-6
1. Shimamoto/Soriano (UM) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 6-4
2. Okonkwo/Davies (UI) def. Dickson/Lang (BU): 6-3
3. Bastias/Aubone (UM) def. Smietana/Tyler (UI): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,1,6)