ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The University of Iowa women’s gymnastics team traveled to Ann Arbor, Mich., to take on the No. 10 Wolverines on Sunday, Feb. 10.
The GymHawks fell to the Wolverines, 197.350-195.375. Iowa earned a season high team score on vault (48.775).
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH LARISSA LIBBY
“We wanted to see if we could create the magic in a really cool place, it started on bars.”
“We tried to keep the girls focused on one thing at a time and one person at a time. We wanted to make sure all of our effort as a team went into the girl going, and making sure the first person hits.”
“That would be Clair on bars today. She did a phenomenal job, it gave us a really good start. Then we had a freshman in the back of the lineup, which is Jax, she did an amazing job and I couldn’t have asked for her to handle that pressure any better.”
“Then we went to vault. The first person up was Emma, she has never competed this vault before. When she hit the floor my eyes watered instantly. Those are the moments when you remember what this is about.”
The GymHawks started the meet off strong with team score of 49.000 on bars. Sophomore Emma Hartzler tied a career high of 9.775. Senior Nicole Chow contributed a 9.850, freshman Jax Kranitz added a 9.825 and junior Charlotte Sullivan scored a 9.800, respectively.
As Iowa moved to vault, they kept the momentum going. Freshman, Lauren Guerin (9.750) and sophomore Emma Hartzler (9.725) both contributed career highs. Freshman Bridget Killian tied a career high of a 9.800. Seniors Misty-Jade Carlson (9.800) and Nicole Chow (9.675) both contributed season bests.
The GymHawks continued their trend of season and career bests on floor, which earned them a team score on floor of 49.100. Freshmen Allie Gilchrist (9.775) and Guerin (9.900) both contributed career highs. Sullivan tied a career best of 9.800, which is also a season-high. Junior Clair Kaji tied a season best of 9.875.
Iowa finished out the meet on beam. Chow scored a career high of 9.875. Freshman Mackenzie Vance (9.775) and Carlson tied (9.850) a career highs. Killian contributed a 9.800, respectively.
- Hartzler tied a season best with a 9.775 on bars.
- Lauren Guerin (9.750) and sophomore Emma Hartzler (9.725) both contributed career highs on vault.
- Freshman Bridget Killian tied a career high of a 9.800 on vault.
- Also on vault, seniors Misty-Jade Carlson (9.800) and Nicole Chow (9.675) both contributed season-bests.
- Freshmen Guerin (9.900) and Gilchrist (9.775) scored career highs on floor.
- Sullivan tied a career best of 9.800 on floor and Kaji tied a season best on floor of 9.875.
- Chow scored a career high of 9.875 on beam.
- Freshman Mackenzie Vance (9.775) and Carlson tied (9.850) a career highs on beam.
The GymHawks are back in action on Saturday, Feb. 16, inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena, for Princess-Super Hero Night. Iowa will take on Illinois at 6 p.m. (CT).