ITHACA, New York — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team fell at Cornell on Sunday, 5-2 at the Reis Tennis Center.
Iowa dropped the doubles point for only the second time this season. Nikita Snezhko and Joe Tyler recorded the only doubles win for the Hawkeyes on court three, 6-3.
Iowa won two out of the six singles matches. Freshman Oliver Okonkwo continues his steady play, winning on court four, 7-6, 7-5. Will Davies picked up his eighth singles win of the season, bouncing Cornell’s Vasa, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6. Piotr Smietana fell in a tough third set match on court six. Kareem Allaf, Jonas Larsen, and Tyler all fell in straight sets on courts one through three.
Iowa will travel to Lubbock, Texas, to take on Texas Tech on March 3.
Cornell 5, #42 Iowa 2
Feb. 24, 2019 | 9 a.m. (ET) | Ithaca, N.Y. | Reis Tennis Center
1. Alafia Ayeni (CU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 7-5, 6-3
2. Lev Kazakov (CU) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-3, 6-1
3. Daniel Soyfer (CU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-4, 6-2
4. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Evan Bynoe (CU): 7-6, 7-5
5. Will Davies (UI) def. Eero Vasa (CU): 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
6. Pietro Rimondini (CU) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Ayeni/Vasa (CU) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 6-1
2. Jake Hansen/Soyfer (CU) def. Davies/Okonkwo (UI): 7-6(2)
3. Nikita Snezhko/Tyler (UI) def. Kazakov/Joseph McAllister (CU): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2), Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)