TUCSON, Arizona — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost 6-1 at 29th-ranked Arizona Monday afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes lost, 6-1 but junior Kareem Allaf made Iowa tennis history on Monday.
Kareem Allaf recorded a 6-4, 6-3 win over Arizona’s Jonas Ziverts on court one in singles action. The win moved the Hawkeye junior into a tie with Jake Wilson (1997-02) for 15th in career singles wins at Iowa with 60.
“I am taking it one match at a time to compete at my best level,” said Allaf. “It’s been a long ride with hard work on and off the court during the summer and off-season. I want to put the team a position to win.”
Iowa lost the doubles point after dropping matches on courts one (6-4) and two (6-1). In singles competition, the Wildcats were victorious in singles matches on courts two through six.
Iowa looks to improve to 2-0 in Big Ten play, when the Hawkeyes travel to Minnesota for a 6 p.m. (CT) match on Friday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#29 Arizona 6, #47 Iowa 1
March 18, 2019 | 2 p.m. (PT) | Tucson, Arizona | LaNelle Robson Tennis Center
1. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Jonas Ziverts (UA): 6-4, 6-3
2. Filip Malbasic (UA) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-1, 6-4
3. Igor Karpovets (UA) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 6-1, 6-3
4. Alejandro Reguant (UA) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-1, 7-6(5)
5. Carlos Hassey (UA) def. Will Davies (UI): 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
6. Jonas Maier (UA) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 7-6, 6-3
1. Ziverts/Karpovets (UA) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 6-4
2. Malbasic/Reguant (UA) def. Smietana/Davies (UI): 6-1
3. Block/Maier (UA) vs. Tyler/Okonkwo (UI): unfinished
#29 Arizona: 12-3
#47 Iowa: 10-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)