MINNEAPOLIS, Minneapolis — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team upset 18th-ranked Minnesota Friday evening at the Baseline Tennis Center. This was Iowa’s second top-20 win in consecutive seasons for the Hawkeyes. Additionally, the win marks Iowa’s first 2-0 start in the Big Ten since 2008.
Iowa got things going in doubles taking two out of the three matches. Will Davies and Oliver Okonkwo stepped up and played on court one. The tandem knocked off the 73rd-ranked duo from Minnesota, 6-2. Piotr Smietana and Joe Tyler sealed the point for the Hawkeyes on court three in a tightly contested match, 7-6. Iowa improved to 11-0 when capturing the doubles point.
Iowa won three singles matches to win the match, 4-3. Tyler was the first Hawkeye on the board winning on court four in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. Davies followed suit on court five winning for the sixth time in seven matches (7-5, 7-6). Davies improves to team-high 11-3 on the season. Jonas Larsen completed the upset, knocking off Minnesota’s Allen in three sets, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2.
Quoting Head Coach Ross Wilson
“This was a great win for our team. We played Iowa Tennis in a tough road environment. Minnesota is a great team. Piotr and Joe really stepped up and won a close match at third doubles. Jonas competed like a warrior. He came back from down a set, a break, and match point to win in three sets. I’m happy for our team and we are looking to play a strong Wisconsin team on Sunday.”
Iowa looks to stay unbeaten in Big Ten play, hosting Wisconsin (7-5, 1-1) on Sunday at noon (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
Iowa 4, #18 Minnesota 3
March 22, 2019 | 6 p.m. (CT) | Minneapolis, Minnesota | Baseline Tennis Center
1. #47 Josip Krstanovic (MINN) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
2. Stefan Milicevic (MINN) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 6-4, 6-4
3. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Jackson Allen (MINN): 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Joe Tyler def. Marino Alpeza (MINN): 6-4, 6-2
5. Will Davies (UI) def. Eli Ogilvy (MINN): 7-5, 7-6(4)
6. Vlad Lobak (MINN) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-2, 7-5
1. Davies/Okonkwo (UI) def. #73 Levin/Krstanovic (MINN): 6-2
2. Allen/Ogilvy (MINN) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 6-2
3. Tyler/Smietana (UI) def. Alpeza/Milicevic (MINN): 7-6
#18 Minnesota: 12-2, 1-1
Iowa: 11-4, 2-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,2,3,5,1)