Fight For Iowa | Hawk Talk Monthly — April | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | Boxscore
April 13, 2019
Iowa Men’s Tennis
Communications Contact: Bailey Turner
Hawkeyes Edged By Boilermakers
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana — The 46th-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis lost at Purdue Saturday afternoon, 4-3. It marked the first time this season that the Hawkeyes dropped a match decided by the score 4-3 (6-1).
Iowa started the match dominating courts one and two in doubles. Oliver Okonkwo and Will Davies¸ ranked 58th in the country, blanked their opponents, 6-0. The tandem won their fifth Big Ten match of the season. Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen followed suit on court two, clinching the point for the Hawkeyes with a 6-3 win to register their fourth straight conference victory.
Okonkwo continued his winning ways, with a straight sets win on court two (6-3, 6-4). The win moved Okonkwo into the top-10 for most wins in a single-season in program history with 22.
Four of the six singles matches went three sets, with the Boilermakers winning four of the six to win the match. Larsen won his match on court three (6-4, 2-6, 6-4). Allaf fell at No. 1 (6-4, 4-6, 6-1), while Joe Tyler and Davies each lost their respective matches in third set tiebreakers by the score of 7-4.
Iowa will return to action on Sunday competing against Indiana at Noon (ET) and IUPUI at 7 p.m. (ET).
Purdue 4, #46 Iowa 3
April 13, 2019 | Noon (ET) | West Lafayette, Indiana | Schwartz Tennis Center
1. Athell Bennett (PU) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Mateo Julio (PU): 6-3, 6-4
3. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Maksymilian Raupuk (PU): 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
4. Stephan Koenigsfest (PU) def. Will Davies (UI): 6-3, 0-6, 7-6(4)
5. Franz Luna (PU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-4, 0-6, 7-6(4)
6. Santiago Galan (PU) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-3, 6-1
1. #58 Davies/Okonkwo (UI) def. Koenigsfest/Bennett (PU): 6-0
2. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Mateo Julio/Sochurek (PU): 6-3
3. Raupuk/Luna (PU) def. Snezhko/Tyler (UI): 6-2
Purdue: 9-10 (2-6 Big Ten)
#46 Iowa: 13-8 (4-4 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,1,4,3,5)