INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana — The 46th-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team split two matches on Sunday in the state of Indiana. The Hawkeyes beat IUPUI (6-0) in Indianapolis, but lost to Indiana (4-0).
In the first match of the day, the Hoosiers (12-9, 6-3) won on courts two and three to clinch the doubles point. In singles competition, Indiana won on courts two, five, and six to clinch the match. Joe Tyler, Jason Kerst, and Oliver Okonkwo lost in straight sets.
The Hawkeyes cruised to a 6-0 victory over IUPUI Sunday evening at the West Indy Racquet Club in Indianapolis. Iowa, who won its 14th match of the season, captured the doubles point after recording wins on courts two (6-3) and three (7-6). Notching straight set wins in singles action were Kareem Allaf, Will Davies, Morgan Lohan, Okonkwo, and Tyler. Jonas Larsen’s match at No. 2 went unfinished.
Iowa will return to action next weekend when they host Michigan State on Friday night at 6 p.m. (CT) and nationally-ranked Michigan (Noon) and Illinois State (5 p.m.) on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex for a doubleheader to wrap up the regular season.
Indiana 4, #46 Iowa 0
April 14, 2019 | Noon (ET) | Bloomington, Indiana | IU Tennis Center
1. #80 Antonio Cembellin (IU) vs. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
2. Bennett Crane (IU) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 6-4, 6-4
3. Zac Brodney (IU) vs. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
4. Carson Haskins (IU) vs. Will Davies (UI): 7-6(4), 1-0, unfinished
5. Andrew Redding (IU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-1, 6-4
6. Vikash Singh (IU) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 6-1, 6-3
1. #58 Okonkwo/Davies (UI) vs. #39 Lam/Haskins (IU): 4-2, unfinished
2. Crane/Brodney (IU) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 6-1
3. Cembellin/Fletchall (IU) def. Snezhko/Tyler (UI): 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,2,6)
#46 Iowa 6, IUPUI 0
April 14, 2019 | 7 p.m. (ET) | Indianapolis, Indiana | West Indy Racquet Club
1. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Alex Jochim (IUPUI): 6-0, 6-2
2. Jonas Larsen (UI) vs. Sean Bailey (IUPUI): 7-5, 2-2, unfinished
3. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Colton Morehart (IUPUI): 6-3, 6-3
4. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI): 6-4, 6-2
5. Will Davies (UI) def. Bradley Luetschwager (IUPUI): 6-4, 6-3
6. Morgan Lohan (UI) def. Mikel Saavedra (IUPUI): 6-3, 6-0
1. Jochim/Morehart (IUPUI) def. #58 Okonkwo/Davies (UI): 6-2
2. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Whittaker/Luetschwager (IUPUI): 6-3
3. Snezhko/Tyler (UI) def. Bailey/Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI): 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,6,1,4,5)