Hawk Talk Monthly — April | Fight For Iowa | Boxscore
ANN ARBOR, Michigan — The 42nd-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated Nebraska, 4-0, to advance to the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament Thursday afternoon at the Varsity Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes have won four of their last five first opening round matches at the conference tournament.
Iowa dominated doubles with Will Davies and Oliver Okonkwo winning on court one, 6-3. The 87th-ranked duo has now registered a team-best seven Big Ten victories this season. Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen followed suit on court two with a convincing 6-3 victory over Nebraska’s Dean/Nortey. Both doubles teams of Davies/Okonkwo and Allaf/Larsen have won 16 matches this spring. Larsen is now tied for sixth all-time in school history with 63 doubles career wins. Iowa improved to 17-2 when winning the doubles point.
The Hawkeyes took five out of six first sets in singles play. Junior Jason Kerst was the first to finish off his opponent on court six, winning in straight sets (6-2, 6-1). Davies continues to impress, posting another straight set victory for the Black and Gold (6-4, 7-5). Davies has recorded the most singles wins on the team this season (19). Allaf, ranked 112th nationally, bounced Toby Boyer on court one, 7-6(5), 6-3, to clinch the dual and register the 18th win of the season for the Hawkeyes.
Quoting Mellecker Family Head Coach Ross Wilson
“It was great to come out today and get a convincing win in the first round. Tomorrow’s match will be a battle, but I know the team is ready to fight.”
No. 6-seed Iowa will battle third-seeded and 35th-ranked Penn State on Friday in the Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals at 2 p.m. (ET) at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
No. 6 Iowa 4, No. 11 Nebraska 0
April 25, 2019 | 2 p.m. (ET) | Ann Arbor, Michigan | Varsity Tennis Center
1. #112 Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Toby Boyer (NEB): 7-6(5), 6-3
2. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) vs. Micah Klousia (NEB): 6-7(6), 6-6 unfinished
3. Jonas Larsen (UI) vs. Will Gleason (NEB): 6-4, 4-6, 1-4 unfinished
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Victor Moreno (NEB): 6-4, 7-5
5. Joe Tyler (UI) vs. Isaac Nortey (NEB): 6-4, 4-6, 2-1 unfinished
6. Jason Kerst (UI) def. Chris Dean (NEB): 6-2, 6-1
1. #87 Davies/Okonkwo (UI) def. Boyer/Gleason (NEB): 6-3
2. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Dean/Nortey (NEB): 6-3
3. Snezhko/Tyler (UI) vs. Klousia/Moreno (NEB): 5-5 unfinished
#42 Iowa: 18-9
Order of Finish Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,4,1)