GYMHAWKS CONCLUDE NCAA REGIONAL
- The University of Iowa women’s gymnastics team took fourth at the NCAA Corvallis Regional in session two with a score of 194.775. The GymHawks did not advance to the Regional final.
- Florida (197.500) won the second session of the NCAA Corvallis Regional. Following was Oregon State (197.125) and Stanford (196.075). Oregon State and Florida advanced to the NCAA Regional Final along with Boise State and Denver from session one.
- Senior Nicole Chow scored a 9.800 on bars.
- Junior Clair Kaji scored a 9.875 on beam, while Chow scored a 9.850.
- The GymHawks scored a 49.000 on beam and a 49.150 on floor.
- Kaji scored a 9.875 on floor.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin and sophomore Erin Castle both earned 9.850s on floor.
- Junior Charlotte Sullivan (9.825) and senior Misty-Jade Carlson (9.800) both tied season bests on vault.
- The Corvallis Regional concluded the 2019 season for the GymHawks.
GYMHAWKS ADVANCED TO SECOND ROUND
- The GymHawks qualified for the second round of the NCAA Corvallis Regional, defeating Arizona, 195.850 to 194.550, in the first round.
- Sophomore Erin Castle tied a career high on vault with a 9.750.
- Senior Nicole Chow tied a career high of 9.900 on bars to win the bars title.
- Freshman Jax Kranitz contributed a 9.850 on bars.
- Chow and Kaji scored 9.850s on beam, sharing the event title.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin earned her seventh 9.900 of the season on floor to win the event.
- Kaji earned a 9.875 on floor.
- The GymHawks earned a 49.200 on floor – their highest total of the night.
THREE GYMHAWKS NAMED TO ALL-BIG TEN TEAMS
- Junior Clair Kaji was named first-team All-Big Ten.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin and senior Nicole Chow were named second-team All-Big Ten.
- It’s Kaji’s second time making the list, but first time making first team. Kaji made second team in 2017 as a freshman.
- Kaji scored season highs of 9.900 in every event she competed in this season, beam, floor, and bars.
- This is the second time Chow has made second team. She earned second-team honors in 2018 as a junior.
- Chow scored three 9.900s on bars this season. Her last 9.900 was at the Big Five Meet on Feb. 22.
- This is a first time honor for Guerin. Guerin competes on floor and vault for the GymHawks and is a high scorer in each of those events.
- On floor, Guerin had a streak of five 9.900s in a row starting at Michigan (Feb. 10), stretching to March 8 at Washington.
- During the streak, Guerin’s career best of 9.900 helped the GymHawks win session one of the Big Five Meet, and helped Iowa earn a season best, 49.400, on floor vs. Illinois (Feb. 16).
- HEAD GYMHAWK
- Head Coach Larissa Libby finished her 15th season as head coach and 19th year overall.
- The Corvallis Regional is Libby’s 19th consecutive NCAA appearance (individual or team).
- Libby and the GymHawks went into the NCAA Regional with a No. 32 ranking.
- Libby coached three GymHawks to All-Big Ten Teams, Kaji was named first team, Chow and Guerin were named to the second-team.
- Libby coached All-Championship honoree Charlotte Sullivan in 2018.
- Libby takes pride in her GymHawks outside the gym as well. In 2018, a record 11 gymnasts received Academic All-Big Ten honors.
GYMHAWKS TOP 196 AT BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- The GymHawks scored a 196.075 at the Big Ten Championships, placing sixth out of 10.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin earned her sixth 9.900 of the season to tie a career-high on floor.
- Sophomore Erin Castle and freshman Bridget Killian both scored 9.850s on floor.
- Guerin scored a 9.850 on vault, and Killian scored a 9.800 on vault.
- Junior Clair Kaji and sophomore Maddie Kampschroeder both earned 9.850s on bars. The score was a season best for Kampschroeder.
- Sullivan notched a 9.825, while Hartzler, Kranitz, and Chow all earned 9.800s on bars.
- Senior Misty-Jade Carlson and Kaji both scored 9.850s on beam.
- Killian tied a career high of 9.825 on beam.
- The GymHawks finished the season ranked 31st overall in the final Road to Nationals Poll.
- Iowa concluded the season 24th on bars, 40th on beam, 34th on vault, and 21st on floor in the final Road to Nationals Poll.
- Iowa scored a 196.250 vs. Iowa State, its second-highest score of the season, on March 1.
- Junior Clair Kaji and freshman Lauren Guerin each earned a 9.900 on floor to share the event title vs. Iowa State. Kaji tied a season best and Guerin tied a career high.
- Sullivan earned a season best in the all-around competition with a 39.200 vs. Iowa State.
- The GymHawks scored a 195.400 vs. Illinois on Feb. 16, scoring a 49.200 on bars and a season high of 49.400 on floor.
- Three GymHawks earned 9.900s on floor — Erin Castle, Clair Kaji, and Lauren Guerin — while the other three GymHawks earned 9.850s — Charlotte Sullivan, Bridget Killian, and Allie Gilchrist vs. Illinois.
- The GymHawks earned two 9.900’s on bars from Jax Kranitz, a career best, and Nicole Chow tied a career best vs. Illinois.
- Sophomore Erin Castle scored a career best of 9.750 on vault vs. Illinois.
- Freshman Lauren Guerin won floor against Rutgers with a 9.875.
- Freshman Bridget Killian won two events against Rutgers – beam (9.725) and vault (9.750).
GYMHAWKS WIN SESSION 1 OF BIG FIVE MEET
- The GymHawks won session one of the Big Five Meet, which guaranteed them a spot in the night session at the Big Ten Championships on Feb. 22.
- Iowa earned a season high score of 196.450.
- Junior Clair Kaji set a career high and senior Nicole Chow tied a career high on bars, both with a 9.900s, sharing the event title.
- Junior Charlotte Sullivan competed in the all-around for Iowa and finished fourth with a score of 39.100.
- Junior Clair Kaji earned three event titles on beam (9.875), floor (9.900), and bars (9.900).
- Freshman Lauren Guerin earned a 9.900 on floor, sharing the title with Kaji.
- Sophomore Emma Hartzler tied a career high (9.725), freshman Bridget Killian set a career high (9.825), and Sullivan (9.825) earned a season best on vault.
- Lauren Guerin earned her seventh 9.900 of the season on floor to tie a career high at the NCAA Corvallis Regional on April 4.
- Guerin scored a career high on vault of 9.875 to help Iowa earn a score of 49.025 at No.14 Oregon State with North Carolina and Seattle Pacific.
- Bridget Killian earned a 9.850 on floor, 9.825 on beam, and 9.800 on vault at the Big Ten Championships to help them to a score of 196.075, the GymHawks’ third highest of the season.
- Alex Greenwald (9.900), Carina Tolan (9.800) all earned career highs, while Bridget Killian tied her career high (9.825) on vault to help the GymHawks earn a season high score of 49.200 at Washington with Sacramento State on March 8.
- Mackenzie Vance scored a career high on bars of 9.725 vs. Iowa State.
- Jax Kranitz earned a career high of 9.900, on bars vs. Illinois on Feb. 16.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa gymnastics program and access to exclusive coverage, “like” Iowa Women’s Gymnastics on Facebook and follow @IowaGymnastics on Twitter, and Instagram.
- The GymHawks will graduate five seniors, Nicole Chow, Misty -Jade Carlson, Sydney Hogan, Maria Ortiz, and Rose Piorkowski.
- Iowa has first team All-Big Ten honoree, Clair Kaji returning for her senior season, along with second team All-Big Ten honoree, freshman Lauren Guerin.