The University of Iowa men’s tennis team will travel to Des Moines, Iowa, for its first road contest of the season against in-state rival Drake on Saturday. The match will start at 6 p.m. (CT) at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center.
LAST TIME OUT:
• The Hawkeyes notched their fourth consecutive victory at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
• Iowa beat Marquette in the first half of the doubleheader, 5-2, followed by a 6-1 decision over Omaha in the afternoon.
• The Bulldogs enter this weekend’s action 1-7 after falling to Alabama (6-1) and Oregon (4-0).
• Drake has only three upperclassmen on its 2020 roster.
• Head Coach Davidson Lozlowski is in his eighth year with the program, guiding Drake to six NCAA Tournaments over the last seven years.
• Iowa is 16-15 all-time against Drake, last beating the Bulldogs a year ago in Iowa City, 4-3.
• Redshirt senior Kareem Allaf is ranked a personal-best No. 60 in the country.
• Will Davies and Oliver Okonkwo are ranked 16th nationally in doubles; it’s the highest ranking a doubles team has ever had in program history.
• Allaf owns the third most singles wins in a program history (78).
• Allaf also passed former Hawkeye Dave Novak (1986-90) in school history with his 132nd combined singles and doubles victory.
• Three Hawkeyes own a 4-1 record in singles (Allaf, Davies, and Tyler).
• Junior Will Davies is two doubles victories from cracking Iowa’s career Top 10 list.
• The Hawkeyes are coming off one of its best seasons in 20 years, finishing fifth in the Big Ten and knocking off three ranked Big Ten foes.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES:
Fans can follow the Hawkeyes all season long and receive live match updates on Facebook (facebook.com/IowaMensTennis) and Twitter (@IowaMensTennis). Fans can also get a behind the scenes look on Instagram (iowamenstennis).
HEAD COACH ROSS WILSON:
Ross Wilson, a former two-time NCAA All-American and three-time ITA national doubles champion at Ohio State, is in his sixth season as head coach and seventh year with the Iowa men’s tennis program.