DES MOINES, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team won its fifth match in a row with a 4-0 shutout over in-state rival Drake Friday evening at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes clinched the doubles point early. Joe Tyler/Matt Clegg got things going for the visitors, dropping their opponents on court three, 6-3. Kareem Allaf/Nikita Snezhko sealed the point with a win over Fragistas/Jankovic on court two, 6-2. The nationally-ranked tandem of Will Davies/Oliver Okonkwo were on their way to picking their third win of the year before the match was suspended, 4-3.
Iowa cruised in singles on courts three, one, and four. Okonkwo dropped Luka Jankovic for Iowa’s first singles victory of the night in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Allaf, ranked 53rd nationally, continues to dominate in his senior campaign, winning decisively against Barny Thorold, 6-1, 6-1. Davies improved to 5-1 on the season and added the final point for the Hawkeyes on court four, defeating Evan Fragistas, 6-2, 6-2. Jason Kerst, Morgan Lohan, and Tyler’s matches were suspended due to Iowa winning the match.
Quoting Mellecker Family Head Coach Ross Wilson
“Tonight was a good team win for us on the road. We played well in all three doubles matches, which was key.”
Iowa hosts Middle Tennessee on Feb. 14, at 6 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Iowa 4, Drake 0
Feb. 8, 2020 | 6 p.m. | Des Moines, Iowa | Roger Knapp Tennis Center
1. #53 Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Barny Thorold (DU): 6-1, 6-1
2. Joe Tyler (UI) vs. Oliver Johansson (DU): 2-6, 3-5, unfinished
3. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Luka Jankovic (DU): 6-2, 6-1
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Evan Fragistas (DU): 6-2, 6-2
5. Jason Kerst (UI) def. David Nyman (DU): 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
6. Morgan Lohan (UI) vs. Reid Jarvis (DU): 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
1. #10 Will Davies/Oliver Okonkwo (UI) vs. Barny Thorold/Oliver Johansson (DU): 4-3, unfinished
2. Kareem Allaf/Nikita Snezhko (UI) def. Evan Fragistas/Luka Jankovic (DU): 6-2
3. Joe Tyler/Matt Clegg (UI) def. Matija Matic/Reid Jarvis (DU): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,1,4)