IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team posted a 4-2 victory over Middle Tennessee Friday evening at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. The win extends the Hawkeyes’ win streak to six.
Iowa clinched the doubles point for the fourth straight match. Joe Tyler/Matt Clegg got things going for the Hawkeyes with a dominating 6-1 triumph over Edge/Moonen on court two. Tenth-ranked Will Davies/Oliver Okonkwo battled back to beat the No. 20 Motl/Slump, 7-5, to clinch the doubles point.
Iowa won four out of its first six sets in singles to get things started. Davies recorded his sixth win of the season quickly in a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Patrick Kristensen on court four. Kareem Allaf, ranked No. 53, downed the Blue Raiders’ No. 121 Tom Moonen in straight sets (7-5, 6-1). With the match on the line, Okonkwo came through for the Hawkeyes defeating Stjin Slump in the third set, 6-3. Jason Kerst’s match was suspended once the Hawkeyes won the match. Nikita Snezhko and Tyler both dropped their matches.
Quoting Mellecker Family Head Coach Ross Wilson
“I’m happy with the way we performed. The doubles point is always key. To get up a point was huge. For Oliver and Will to come back to even the score at five and then win 7-5 against the No. 20 ranked team in the country was big for us. They are our best team, highly ranked, and stepped up in a big moment. I’m really happy for them. Kareem and Will led us in singles with two quick wins. Oliver came back tonight, whereas against Western Michigan he was in the same spot and didn’t. Today he had a different result and kept his head together, playing the strategy we talked about.”
Iowa will host Wichita State at 2 p.m. (CT) on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
Iowa 4, Middle Tennessee 2
Feb. 14, 2020 | 6 p.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex
1. #53 Kareem Allaf (UI) def. #121 Tom Moonen (MT): 7-5, 6-1
2. Chris Edge (MT) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-4, 6-2
3. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. Stjin Slump (MT): 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-3
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Patrick Kristensen (MT): 6-1, 6-2
5. Jason Kerst (UI) vs. Pavel Motl (MT): 6-1, 6-7(6), 0-3, uf
6. Francisco Rocha (MT) def. Nikita Snezhko (UI): 6-2, 6-4
1. #10 Davies/Okonkwo (UI) vs. #20 Motl/Slump (MT): 7-5
2. Moonen/Edge (MT) def. Tyler/Clegg (UI): 6-4
3. Allaf/Snezhko (UI) def. Stormon/Rauch (MT): 6-1
Middle Tennessee: 9-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,6,1,3)