IOWA CITY, Iowa — The No. 28 University of Iowa men’s tennis team extended its winning streak to five straight with a 4-3 win over No. 16 Cornell on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Iowa, who has won 10 of its first 11 home matches this season, improved to 12-2 overall and handed the Big Red just their second loss of the year (9-2).
Iowa captured the doubles point, winning matches on courts two and three. Joe Tyler/Matt Clegg’s match was close with the duo upending the Big Red’s No. 3 team, 7-6(4). Kareem Allaf/Nikita Snezhko clinched the point for the second consecutive dual with a victory over Soyfer/Kazakov (7-6) on court two. The No. 12 ranked tandem of Will Davies/Oliver Okonkwo were edged on court one (7-5). The Hawkeyes improved to 9-0 when winning the doubles point.
In singles, Davies pulled through for the Hawkeyes, defeating Lev Kazakov in a crucial third set (6-7, 6-4, 6-2) at No. 4 to record his career-best 12th straight win and team-leading 13th victory of the spring. Okonkwo captured his first win over a ranked opponent this season when he beat No. 122 Eero Vasa (2-6, 6-4, 6-3). Snezhko followed Okonkwo moments later with his third win of the spring in comeback fashion over Daniel Soyfer (1-6, 6-3, 6-4). Jason Kerst, Allaf, and Tyler each dropped their respective matches.
Today’s victory is Iowa’s highest ranked win since 2018, when it won at No. 14 Dartmouth.
Quoting Mellecker Family Head Coach Ross Wilson
“Will (Davies) has been in that spot so many times. He’s come through for us every single time, but he’s cool out there. He looked like he believed in himself out there. He knew his game plan and executed it well. This is likely the highest ranked team we have defeated at home in program history and Will is one of the guys we want on the court when it matters most to finish it off for us.”
Iowa will return to action on March 20 against Minnesota. The match is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. Admission is free to the public.
#28 Iowa 4, #16 Cornell 3
March 8, 2020 | 11 a.m. (CT) | Iowa City, Iowa | Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex
1. Alafia Ayeni (CU) def. #51 Kareem Allaf (UI): 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Oliver Okonkwo (UI) def. #122 Eero Vasa (CU): 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Vladislav Melnic (CU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Lev Kazakov (CU): 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-2
5. Pietro Rimondini (CU) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 6-2, 6-2
6. Nikita Snezhko (UI) def. Daniel Soyfer (CU): 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Alafia Ayeni/Vladislav Melnic (CU) def. #12 Will Davies/Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 7-5
2. Kareem Allaf/Nikita Snezhko (UI) def. Daniel Soyfer/Lev Kazakov (CU): 7-6(5)
3. Matt Clegg/Joe Tyler (UI) def. Evan Bynoe/Pietro Rimondini (CU): 7-6(4)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,2,6,3,4)