By DARREN MILLER
IOWA CITY, Iowa — It worked well in Kinnick Stadium, now there is an opportunity for fan cutouts to fill Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Similar to the football season, the University of Iowa Athletics Department is offering four options for purchase of fan cutouts for its basketball and wrestling arena. Prices are $35 for students, $50 for season ticket holders and $70 for fans who are not season ticket holders. For $250, fans may purchase a cutout that will be signed by head coaches Tom Brands, Lisa Bluder or Fran McCaffery after the season and returned via mail.
Twenty percent of revenue from the cutouts will go toward University of Iowa Dance Marathon, the remainder of the profits will support the I-Club General Scholarship Fund for all student-athletes. That news has Elizabeth Jackson, executive director of University of Iowa Dance Marathon, doing her own celebration tango. The pandemic and derecho have been huge obstacles to Dance Marathon fundraising.
“It is invaluable, not just because of the monetary donation, but for the thought and care from Iowa Athletics to consider Dance Marathon,” Jackson said. “At the end of the day, everything we do is for the families and the Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
“Our mission is to do as much as we can for them, but with everything going on, that has been a challenge. This will help us continue to support our mission and stay focused on what we have tried so hard to do this year.”
To purchase a fan cutout, click HERE. You will upload your photograph during the purchase process.
Once you submit the photograph, it will be printed on an 18-inch by 33-inch corrugated plastic and placed in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Here’s the Hawkeye Fan Cutout Playbook:
- One person per photo. No selfies.
- Your image must fill the entire top section of the cutout with no gaps or spaces or it is likely to be rejected.
- No commercial advertising or messages, including but not limited to company names, apparel brands, hashtags, social media handles, phone numbers, logos, slogans or other branding.
- No alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco or firearms/weapons.
- No additional text is permitted in cutout.
- No political statements, logos, slogans or other political content on clothing.
- No personal identification, such as names, email addresses or street addresses permitted.
- No lewd, inappropriate or offensive photos.
- No arms raised in photos. You may have a basketball, pompoms, foam finger, etc., but must be contained in the width of the body.
In the event a limited number of spectators can attend games, every effort will be taken to accommodate the cutouts, but may have to remove them based on seat availability.