Iowa City, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost to No. 29 Northwestern, 6-1, on Sunday at the Combe Tennis Center.
Iowa (3-4, 3-2) started the day of strong with the nationally-ranked duo of Oliver Okonkwo and Will Davies winning its seventh match of the season at No. 1 (6-3) against the 57th-ranked tandem to remain unbeaten. Iowa’s doubles teams of Nikita Snezhko/Kareem Allaf and Joe Tyler/Peter Alam lost their matches on courts two and three, respectively, to lose the doubles point.
Iowa’s lone point came on the racquet of Davies, winning in a three-set tiebreaker, 5-7(8), 6-4, 1-0 on court four. Jason Kerst and Okonkwo lost their matches on courts five and three, respectively, in three sets. Allaf, ranked No. 39 nationally, lost to 58th-ranked Dominik Stary at No. 1, while Joe Tyler was defeated on court two, while freshman Peter Alam lost at No. 6.
Iowa returns to action Friday, hosting Wisconsin at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
#29 Northwestern 6, #32 Iowa 1
March 7, 2021 | Noon | Evanston, Illinois | Combe Tennis Center
1. #58 Dominik Stary (NU) def. #39 Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-4, 6-3
2. Nick Brookes (NU) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-3, 6-3
3. Chris Ephron (NU) def. Oliver Okonkwo (UI): 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
4. Will Davies (UI) def. Trice Pickens (NU): 5-7(8), 6-4, 1-0
5. Simen Bratholm (NU) def. Jason Kerst (UI): 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Presley Thieneman (NU) def. Peter Alam (UI): 6-4, 6-1
1. #17 Okonkwo/Davies (UI) def. #57 Brookes/Bratholm (NU): 6-3
2. Ephron/Stary (NU) def. Snezhko/Allaf (UI): 6-4
3. Blekher/Spear (NU) def. Tyler/Alam (UI): 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,2,1,5,3,4)